Mandatory area code to dial

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Ok, its driving me insane. I have to dial my the area code of the person I'm calling EVERY time I call. The people I'm calling are all very local. My phone number was transfered over from AT&T and when I was on AT&T, I never had to dial any area codes. Now on Verizon, I get a "Welcome to Verizon Wireless, while roaming, please include the area code of the caller you are trying to reach" message. But I am calling my wife's phone sitting right next to me. We are in the same area code. I call any land line and get the same thing. Even other verizon customers I have to dial the area code.

Is this for everyone and just the way Verizon works. And no, I'm not actually roaming. I have a very strong Verizon signal.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
You are going to have to go in and add the area code for all the contact numbers you have...and if it is a new number you are calling for the first time, you will need to add the area code...no way around this, even for local calls.

We are effectively running out of number strings, and as such, adding the area codes allows the continued use of pre-existing numbers...

PhilD

Reaction score
i just dialed my work number (only 7 digits, no area code) from my Droid X and it connected just fine. my Droid X and work number are in the same area code, and i do not have a contact on my phone for this number. i routinely call numbers within my area code and do not have to enter the area code.

once, when i got a new phone (3 or 4 phones ago), i found that i had to enter the area code all the time (even when placing calls to numbers within the same area code) as some here have suggested. i didn't have to on the prior phone, so i went to verizon wireless and they basically told me i was crazy and always had to enter 10 digits whether or not i remembered doing so before.

well, i'm just saying that neither i nor the OP are crazy.

XimBecile

Reaction score
I never have to enter area codes for local direct dial. In fact, sometimes I get the recording that says NOT to use area code for that number.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
What states are left that you don't have to dial the area code for even local calls?

In Maryland, we've been having to dial the area code with the number since about the early 90s...and now I've always been thrown for a loop when I go visit relatives in Montana; they don't need to dial area codes for local calls.

Funny how that works out.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Verizon. It is based on your location and has to do with the area code for your area. I recently received a notice from the phone company saying that a 10 digit number would be required to make all calls starting October 1st, 2010. Local or long distance.

jjd228

Reaction score
Some phones also have a smart dialing feature that allows you to enter and save an area code that will automatically be used if you dial a number without an area code. Most people obviously save their home area code with this feature.

Beka27

Reaction score
Interesting. I have all my contacts saved with 10-digit numbers, and even if I make a call from my landline or any other number, I automatically dial all 10, even if it's not necessary. I live in an area where there are 3 very common area codes that come up all the time, so I never assume that someone's area code is the same as mine. In fact, my husband and I have phones on the same plan but have chosen to have two different area codes. I'll have to try to make calls with just 7, I'm not sure if it will go thru.

AtreyuRock

Reaction score
I always add the area code, force of habit. However, unlike my landline, no need to put the 1 in front of it when using the cell.

liferefugee

Reaction score
Easy to add the area code to the contact. I have not tried to use a our local number in years. I even use the area code when calling from my house phone since those are stored with area code as well. Tear them all like that and you have no issues if your not in that area code.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jlutz555

Reaction score
If you live in an area that does not require 10 digit dialing then you should not have to dial 10 digits unless your phone is in roaming for some reason. Try dialing *228 option 2. That will update your "roaming". If you travel outside your normal coverage area though, you will have to add the area code to those "local" numbers. I have found it easier to just program all numbers as 10 digits since I haven't lived in the same area code as my mobile number for years...