Making Calls from the UK to the US

pank

Reaction score
I have done some searches and found that there are some services that use a 3G signal to save money on international phone calls, i can't seem to get clarity on using wifi to do the same thing. I will be traveling to London in the near future and I am trying to decide what i will do when I need to call back home since the droid doesn't work there:sad: I am coming from ATT so I never had to worry about being able to make a call abroad before so this is new to me, I guess its an even trade for being able to get a decent signal in the US now though...lol

mivok

Reaction score
I'm assuming here you don't want to try to use your droid to make the calls using Wifi (in which case you might have luck with sipdroid or something similar).

If you have a laptop, install skype and use that - sign up for an account before you leave and load it up with $10. Call costs to the US are $0.01/min approximately, and you can use any wifi connection. You'll also probably want to get a cheap headset too - call quality usually isn't that good with a built in laptop microphone.

If you really must have a cellphone to call home, buy a cheap pay as you go phone while you're over there. Be warned though, international call costs are usually high.