Voip app for calling *from* foreign country

Azmordean

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am traveling to Canada later this spring. As we all know, CDMA isn't the best there, and where you can pick it up international roaming rates are very high. Thus my plan is to pretty much turn off my 3G radio and use wifi. I am wondering if there is an app that will let me place calls (and in an ideal world, receive calls) via wifi?

Maybe skype or truphone? I don't think google voice fits the bill as it connects you through your existing line as I understand it. That saves $$ calling to international numbers but won't help me - I'll be calling US numbers from a location without cell service, effectively.

Thanks in advance!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV isn't VOIP at all.

How exactly do you intend to turn the 3G radio off?

OP
A

Azmordean

Reaction score
GV isn't VOIP at all.

Yeah I realize that now. I read the Wiki on it. I do think I recall that VOIP technologies are involved (e.g., that is how Google does all of the "routing" etc) but the at the "ends" of the call, it is using standard phone technology.

How exactly do you intend to turn the 3G radio off?

1. Turn on Airplane Mode.
2. Turn on WiFi.

Or, more realistically I won't actually turn it off, but I can switch Roaming to "Home Only" which will effectively kill it because there is no native Verizon signal in Canada.

OP
A

Azmordean

Reaction score
For others interested in the answer to my question, there is an app called fring that seems to work. It allows you to place calls over skypeout via wifi. It isn't the most perfect app in the world but it seems to do the job, at least until Skype decides to release a real app instead of skype lite.

Truphone doesn't seem to work on the droid and sipdroid looks like a royal pain to set up. So for now, fring it is!

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Im also going to try to do this, in my case from the UK. I have successfully set up Fring with Skype, and tested it here.

Both my wife and I have established Skype accounts, and installed Fring, and set it up to use Skype out. We are able to call and IM each other from Fring, and 3 out of 4 test calls resulted in decent voice quaility, and marginal latency (about 1.5 seconds) - but that is while we are both here. Remains to be seen how well it will work when I get to the UK.

I did notice that it seems to work through either 3G, or wifi. When I forced both of our phones to wifi (mine in "Europe" mode - airplane mode on, then turned on wifi) it was pretty good.

I dont know how hard its going to be to find a wifi hotspot there, although it looks like the hotel Im planning on staying at provides free wifi.

Anyone tried this combination from somewhere outside the US back to the US?

jc

Seawitch_SC

Reaction score
Data roaming ..OFF

Hey all!

I am traveling to Canada later this spring. As we all know, CDMA isn't the best there, and where you can pick it up international roaming rates are very high. Thus my plan is to pretty much turn off my 3G radio and use wifi. I am wondering if there is an app that will let me place calls (and in an ideal world, receive calls) via wifi?

Maybe skype or truphone? I don't think google voice fits the bill as it connects you through your existing line as I understand it. That saves $$ calling to international numbers but won't help me - I'll be calling US numbers from a location without cell service, effectively.

Thanks in advance!

I realize this reply may be late in your case but might help others. If you dont' want to go on a global data plan ( if one available) you turn data roaming OFF in most droids by going to settings, battery/data manager, data delivery & choose deny. BUT beware - some countries are getting around that so turn DATA off or cellular data OFF for extra assurance. You can place / receive calls & do PLAIN text but no MMS ( pictures, etc.)

hope this helps