Make google Voice default text application

searayman

Reaction score
Can i have google voice app set as the default texting app on my droid instead of the built in messaging application. I want to be able to go into contacts and select the text them button next to there number but have it open up google voice and not open up the messaging app that comes with android.

Dragoro

Reaction score
Yes but ya gotta use the google voice app to send text messages. And make sure your friends text your google number and not your carrier number. Cant do it through your contacts list. Have to open the gv app and then if ya type the first two letters of their name, ya can select them to send to.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
i could have sworn a while back it woudl sometimes ask me which it want to use as default.....gv or messaging

Dragoro

Reaction score
i could have sworn a while back it woudl sometimes ask me which it want to use as default.....gv or messaging

Yeah it did for me too, and i chose gv, but if i send with anything other then the gv app, it sends through verizon and not gv. Ya figure a way around it, please pm me so i can do it as well, incase im not around to see the fix.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score

Yeah it did for me too, and i chose gv, but if i send with anything other then the gv app, it sends through verizon and not gv. Ya figure a way around it, please pm me so i can do it as well, incase im not around to see the fix.

well for some reason i dont have that choice... and i want to choose to use it so i can have shortcuts on my desktop for textign my contacts with google voice

Modulus

Reaction score
You can most definitely only and always use the Google Voice app for sending txt messages from anywhere on the phone.. contact list, call log, gtalk, etc, anywhere you can click on a friend's avatar and get the quick link list to call/txt/email etc.
you probably just configured your phone to use the Messaging app by default for all outgoing txt messages, so you need to change it back to ask you each time or to use GV by default..

I haven't ever sent an SMS via Verizon, all of mine go out through GV.

Modulus

Reaction score
Well, it prompts you when you first install it..
Or, you could go to Settings, Applications, Manage applications, and then magically know which application needs it's settings cleared.. I love that message that is displayed each time we set a 'default'

backlash

Reaction score
I just set GV as the default texting app for one of my contacts. I'm assuming I had not set it before, that's why I got prompted with the screen.

I did it through the call log. Then selected a contact, and I was presented with three options.

Call
Send text message
View Contact.

I hit Send text message, and then it asked me which app I wanted to use to complete the action.

I would suggest what Modulus said. Go into manage apps, set the defaults for anything that handles texting.

Modulus

Reaction score
I think he might have to 'clear data' for google voice entirely, then set it up like the first time he used it..

xowktiger

Reaction score
I just set GV as the default texting app for one of my contacts. I'm assuming I had not set it before, that's why I got prompted with the screen.

I did it through the call log. Then selected a contact, and I was presented with three options.

Call
Send text message
View Contact.

I hit Send text message, and then it asked me which app I wanted to use to complete the action.

I would suggest what Modulus said. Go into manage apps, set the defaults for anything that handles texting.

I've been wrestling with this for a while. I wanted to have it set up so that it would replace Handcent and the stock texting app, but so far, I could only configure it as default text SENDING app, and that is only when I access the contact list. I guess this is as good as it gets?