Major problems following GB update

ni68ana

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my Droid Pro got the GB update about a month ago, and shortly afterwards I started noticing problems, which have gradually multiplied and increased in severity:

• At first the main problem was that the touchscreen would go unresponsive at times, particularly when connected to the charger (but not only). To correct this, every time I have to turn the display off and back on using the power button.
  • This was pretty much the only problem for a couple weeks, until a few days go when I started getting an error message: "The application AtCommandService (process com.motorola.process.system) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." The only option from there is to force close. By now, this error message pops up every time I unlock the phone, and also at various times while I'm actually using it.
  • Also, yesterday I noticed that I was no longer able to tether using the 3G Mobile Hotspot, which had been working fine until then.
I rebooted into safe mode and got the same message. I tried doing a software update from settings>about phone, but it said no more updates were available. I then tried reloading the OS manually according to the instructions in the stickied Resources Thread. This attempt failed, that is, I was able to boot into recovery mode and direct it to update.zip, and it was able to unpack the file correctly, but as it began installing, it gave an error message that started with "assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", …" and then "E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip".

(Tried reloading the OS with both the GB and Froyo files provided in the resources thread, and got the same message).

So I'm kinda stuck at this point... where can I go from here? Any help would be very much appreciated!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my Droid Pro got the GB update about a month ago, and shortly afterwards I started noticing problems, which have gradually multiplied and increased in severity:
  • At first the main problem was that the touchscreen would go unresponsive at times, particularly when connected to the charger (but not only). To correct this, every time I have to turn the display off and back on using the power button.
  • This was pretty much the only problem for a couple weeks, until a few days go when I started getting an error message: "The application AtCommandService (process com.motorola.process.system) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." The only option from there is to force close. By now, this error message pops up every time I unlock the phone, and also at various times while I'm actually using it.
  • Also, yesterday I noticed that I was no longer able to tether using the 3G Mobile Hotspot, which had been working fine until then.
I rebooted into safe mode and got the same message. I tried doing a software update from settings>about phone, but it said no more updates were available. I then tried reloading the OS manually according to the instructions in the stickied Resources Thread. This attempt failed, that is, I was able to boot into recovery mode and direct it to update.zip, and it was able to unpack the file correctly, but as it began installing, it gave an error message that started with "assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", …" and then "E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip".

(Tried reloading the OS with both the GB and Froyo files provided in the resources thread, and got the same message).

So I'm kinda stuck at this point... where can I go from here? Any help would be very much appreciated!
I'm kinda confused but I'll try to help. First, what files did you try to load from the sticky Resource thread, and what procedure did you use...need a little more of an explanation of exactly how you tried to do that. Aside from the error message you keep getting, does you phone work now dispite the failed loading of these files mentioned above? Can you get into recovery mode and have you tried a factory reset?

Astaroth

Reaction score
There are already numerous threads about this issue, just post in those threads. More importantly, read the threads first, a lot of what you mentioned has been discussed before.

OP
N

ni68ana

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I did a factory reset on the device, and that persistent error no longer shows up. I did do some initial searching on the forum and google but didn't find anything that looked relevant, after your advice however I dug deeper here and found other tethering threads, which led to me installing easytether, which now works fine. Will miss the wifi tether, but if it's a universal issue... oh well, as long as it works one way or another. I also gather from other threads here that my touchscreen issue has also been experienced by others, and in any case may be due to me using a samsung charger (the original crapped out...).
Anyway, main problems solved. Tether works + error gone = :icon_ banana:
Thanks again!