MAJOR issue - Help needed ASAP

Reaction score
I just loaded Pete's BB 0.4, smooth as silk. Install took me inside 10 minutes total to wipe data/cache 3x, everything loaded up, life was good. The market even reinstalled all of my apps.

I went into ROM Manager, flashed clockwork and wanted to use one of Chevy's Froyo Kernels since this one was running really hot and I had awesome luck with Chevy's on earlier ROMs. It asks to go into clockwork to complete installation. Fine.

It got stuck at the M boot logo. No big deal, right? So I battery pull, try to boot into recovery. No go. I can boot into bootloader, but I've never used that before, and every computer in my house is a Mac. I'm pretty sure most have said that you need a Windows computer to run bootloader through the USB, but I'm not sure. So right now I'm unofficially bricked. Anyone have any ideas?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You do not need to run bootloader. Just install the froyo rom through recovery, wipe data/cache, reboot.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just loaded Pete's BB 0.4, smooth as silk. Install took me inside 10 minutes total to wipe data/cache 3x, everything loaded up, life was good. The market even reinstalled all of my apps.

I went into ROM Manager, flashed clockwork and wanted to use one of Chevy's Froyo Kernels since this one was running really hot and I had awesome luck with Chevy's on earlier ROMs. It asks to go into clockwork to complete installation. Fine.

It got stuck at the M boot logo. No big deal, right? So I battery pull, try to boot into recovery. No go. I can boot into bootloader, but I've never used that before, and every computer in my house is a Mac. I'm pretty sure most have said that you need a Windows computer to run bootloader through the USB, but I'm not sure. So right now I'm unofficially bricked. Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, you need to load RSD Lite to install SPRecovery and you can't do that with a Mac unless you have boot camp and a copy of Windows.

I don't think you're screwed though. I don't know much about Clockwork so hopefully one of the guys can help you through it.

mkraffert

Reaction score
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? If you do a battery pull, hold the center of the D-Pad and power up the phone will go into Safe Mode. I don't know if that will work for a kernel issue, but I've had it work when I hosed my launcher and it couldn't boot to a place where I could do anything with the phone. It might work for hanging at the M. No promises though.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I used win xp in parallels on my mac to work with rsdlite. Golden like a **ower.

kole

Reaction score
i've had this happen to me a few times before with sprecovery, i've always been able to bootup into normal mode when i cant get into recovery. if you use rom manager from now on try putting the setting to erase recovery before installing another recovery.

OP
D
Reaction score
Alright after following the tutorial through, I think we're okay. Thanks for the help, gentlemen (and any ladies?). Now to find a kernel that doesn't run way hot for BB Froyo, and will actually boot for me...