Magenetic Power Connector for Your Phone

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
34b035dfa391d56da0d224bcf4ab5197_original.jpg

Ok, this is pretty neat. Every now and then, I just have to bring you something cool from one of the crowd funding sites. Today it is a way to convert your power connector to a magnetic connector similar to Apple laptops and Microsoft Surface tablets. Personally, I think this is brilliant. What a great way to keep your connector from breaking inside your phone. You simply push a small connector into your power slot on your phone, and it stays there. Put the other piece on your charge cable and voila: magnetic charging.
They have an iPhone version, as well. Still over a month to go and already 500% funded.

Kickstarter Project: Magbolt

(Note: PereDroid and Droidforums.com are in no way affiliated with Kickstarter or the people behind this project).

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very interesting!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Wouldn't apple own this patent?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
It sticks out too much for my taste. Maybe if they came with a case that kept the plug flush and maybe a bit more secure. I like the idea though.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would love to convert all of my micro usb devices to this. Been too cheap to invest though.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
For me, the big question is how strong are the magnets? There's a fine line between being so strong that they potentially pull the phone off the desk or nightstand, negating the good this brings, & being so weak that you're constantly disconnecting it on accident when trying to use the phone while charging.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
My wife had these for about a year that she ordered from China for her lg g4. It's a good idea in theory but after a while she went back to regular plug.

Main problem is that she has chargers in her car, bedroom, kitchen, work and batteries in her purse. Switching between magnetic and regular plug became a hassle.

This is good product for light users who charge phone once a night and don't come close to draining full battery.

By the way, if you don't care about 2 weeks shipping time, these cost about $5 on aliexpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/RJvmmiUz

Last edited:
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ah..good point Xeene. Unless all your chargers have this you'd have to remove the plug.

redoregon

Reaction score
Yeah, this is going to work great on a car mount... every little bump and you're fishing around on the floor for the dropped cord.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The magnets aren't weak. They're the kind of earth magnets that take some effort to disconnect.
So car bumps shouldn't be an issue unless you are participating in destruction derby.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yeah, this is going to work great on a car mount... every little bump and you're fishing around on the floor for the dropped cord.

Yea, I'm guessing you haven't had much experience with these magnet type connectors. They (generally speaking) are not weak connections.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The guy in the video was holding his phone upside down by the cord, connected with the magnets. Looks like a pretty strong connection to me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk