Essential Phone By Andy Rubin Is Now Official!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ph-1-color-black-moon-back_copy_2000x2000-2x-png.77511

We have an all new high end device to chose from when it comes to Android. Andy Rubin has just made his Essential Phone official. It isn't as much of a flagship killer as it is just a flagship from a new OEM. Andy is doing a few things with this phone to make it stand out from the crowd however. You won't find any logos on the phone. The reason for this is Andy wants this phone to feel like it is your property. Hopefully that sentiment will also spill over to the software experience. The phone will also come with a magnetic connector. The thought behind this feature is that the phone won't quickly become outdated as you will be able to update things like the camera with a module. Another stand out feature is the Titanium build. Essential won't be selling cases for the phone because they say you won't need one as the phone will be rugged enough to withstand most drops.

The phone is being sold as an unlocked phone in the US with compatibility for all major US networks including Verizon. The phone will include an all display front with a 5.71" QHD display, dual 13MP RGB + monochrome camera, Snapdragon 835 processor, 4GB of RAM, 128GB UFS 2.1 storage on board, bluetooth 5.0, USB Type-C, and 3,040mah battery with fast charging capabilities. The phone will not include a 3.5mm headphone jack, but does ship with an adapter. Android 7.1.1 will be powering the whole experience. Essential phone will launch at $699 and can be reserved right now. Is anyone interested in yet another Android flagship device? Does Essential phone stand out enough to gain substantial market share?

via Essential

Attachments

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Did anyone notice that the radio handles EVERY frequency and band including Verizon?

Things just got interesting!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Damn... I like the green one with gold trim. Sexy AF! Keeping my eye on this...
I should've known you'd like the ugliest one. Haha! Actually, I like that shade of green, but I'm not a fan of gold.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
LOL. Sent them an email to see if they'd let me know when it's available. I have zero credit card debt. Hmmmm.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Not sure I'm with ya on the green one Pere, but do like the other three colors. I like green, just not that shade of green personally. Looking forward to some first hand user reviews and opinions when some of our members buy this thing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Raydee35

Reaction score
Hmm I may have just found my next phone that works on Verizon. Will this be a pure Android system that gets all the updates first like the pixel and 6p?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hmm I may have just found my next phone that works on Verizon. Will this be a pure Android system that gets all the updates first like the pixel and 6p?

Good question. There's a discussion on that in another thread. We have several threads regarding this phone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That is a question I asked both via email and Twitter and have yet to get an answer which is the only thing keeping me in the fence from committing to this phone.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
So phone has no wireless charging, no SD card, no waterproofing, no audio jack, useless high resolution, small battery, power hungry processor, inefficient screen layout(that camera up top in the middle of screen is plain dumb with wasted chin on the bottom, obviously they lack aesthetician in their design bureau) and $700+ price tag.

I do like titanium frame and gorilla glass 5, but most will put it into a case anyways(75% to be exact according to One-in-four Smartphone Owners Don't Use a Case - npd.com ) so those benefits seem to be minor.

Waiting for essential 2.