"M Logo" Boot issue with 2.2 (any version)

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
If any of you guys have (or have had) the "M Logo" boot issue when using 2.2 of any version (leaks and now Official OTA) call Verizon and get a new Phone.

Problem Description:

After 2.2 is installed and then DX is turned off and back on again. the DX will boot all the way thru with only the "M logo". You can even use the phone "blind" by swiping and tapping the screen from memory with just the "M" showing.

At first it appears you are stuck on the M logo and it is not booting, but if you wait it will boot all the way and you will feel the short vibration just before it finishes booting. Then "blind" you can swipe to unlock, hold the power button down, feel the vibe of the Power off screen popup, and then blindly hit the power off (just below the M) to turn it off.

IF you turn the phone off (doing it "blind" or with battery pull) and wait approx 5 minutes it will boot back up normally and everything is fine....until you turn it off again, or try to go to recovery.

Myself and a few others have experienced this starting with the very first 2.2 Leak and have dealt with it thru every 2.2 updated version. I had high hopes that the Official OTA would have fixed this, but it did not, at least for me. So at 7:30 eastern this morning I was on the Phone with VZ!

IF, you have this rare issue call Verizon and tell them it started happening right after the 2.2 OTA update (I/we couldn't complain offficially before now :). They were so intriqued they have already overnighted me a new Droid X (already got tracking, be here tomorrow) AND gave me 10% off my primary line for 6 months for the problem.

You can't imagine the frustration this has been normally using the phone... but using it this way I do all the Theming and testing I do.... GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

FYI, on 2.1 it never ever happens..only when 2.2 is loaded.

I know this isn't widespread, but it will be very obvious if you have this odd 2.2 glitch. If so, call and get another DX.

R00ST3R

Reaction score
I have the same issue today doing the Officaal OTA. I can use the phone, but can't see anything but the M. I pulled the battery and waited 5 min..but still booted to the M. Sucks!

I wish there was a way for me to put it in Debug Mode...

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I have the same issue today doing the Officaal OTA. I can use the phone, but can't see anything but the M. I pulled the battery and waited 5 min..but still booted to the M. Sucks!

I wish there was a way for me to put it in Debug Mode...

Wait a little bit longer and it will work again. I was guessing at the 5 minutes.

BTW, forget troubleshooting it.... I have tried for a month (seems a lot longer). I have gone as far as literally deleting EVERYTHING off of the internal Memory (I don't mean just system and data stuff, I mean everything) and started fresh with 2.1 SBF dozens of times... I have tried every 2.2 Custom ROM adn every version of Froyo... all in vain.

Call Verizon and get another X, trust me. Make sure you tell them you can "operate" the phone "blindly" with only the M logo on the screen.

OH, DO NOT be tempted to run the 2.1 SBF now that you have the Official 2.2...it loaded new Bootloader stuff and running the 2.1 SBF will literally (and the term is used WAY too much)and for real Brick your X. There is no current solution other than getting another phone or taking it to Verizon to be fixed.

rmcomer

Reaction score
Dave, I too had the dreaded 'M' syndrome. I knew something wasn't right with the phone and actually had to not use my case because I dreaded having to pull the battery to restart the phone. I called 2 weeks ago about the problem and they sent out a phone the same day!

The phone I received has never exhibited the stuck on 'M' problem and I've flashed it multiple times with 2.2 roms and themes the past week. I'm happy that I can use the case that I bought from VZW now... :)

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Dave, I too had the dreaded 'M' syndrome. I knew something wasn't right with the phone and actually had to not use my case because I dreaded having to pull the battery to restart the phone. I called 2 weeks ago about the problem and they sent out a phone the same day!

The phone I received has never exhibited the stuck on 'M' problem and I've flashed it multiple times with 2.2 roms and themes the past week. I'm happy that I can use the case that I bought from VZW now... :)

SON OF A .............(%*@*$)!)$)!@U%)!(!)!.

Why didn't I do that.......GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Dang it!! Didn't think they would buy it since I knew it wasn't a 2.1 issue.

All those times I have had to wait between every reboot when Theming and testing zips wasted.......:angry:

yang.joonyong

Reaction score
this happened to me and my "like-new" :angry: droid x will be here tmrw..

has anybody here have experience with refurbished droid x??
like im wondering if refurbished units have scratches on screen/body because those things bother me..=(

i took care of my droid x really well and this is wat i get..=(

carcrazygts2

Reaction score
You will be receiving a new X. But you'll need to use you battery, sd card and battery door. I have been having this issue for a couple weeks not and just had to wait until the official 2.2 came out. I just received my new x this morning. Working on getting it rooted.....

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
You will be receiving a new X. But you'll need to use you battery, sd card and battery door. I have been having this issue for a couple weeks not and just had to wait until the official 2.2 came out. I just received my new x this morning. Working on getting it rooted.....

Did it have 2.2 preloaded ????

Yohimbe35

Reaction score
I went to the the store also today. They are going to send me out a replacement, next day. I didn't realize how much I miss my phone until you can't use it for a day or two. I spent about 5 minutes in the store, they made one call and set up the replacement right away. They said they are getting alot of these issues, stuck on M.