LTE-Advanced Has Faster Data; Will Likely Need Bigger Batteries & Phones Too

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first-and-next-cell-phone-lte-advanced.jpg

As technological evolution marches rapidly toward greater and greater advancements, sometimes we must take a step back before we can take two steps forward. With smartphones, the next evolution of wireless data connections, called LTE-Advanced, will likely cause such a contraction. As the general public continues to engorge itself on ever increasing amounts of digital data, the carriers continue to evolve technology to keep up with the growing capacity. The next step is LTE-Advanced, which promises to bring data speeds ranging in the 100-300Mbps range instead of our current 10-30Mbps (speaking of max peaks).

One of the prime components of LTE-Advanced is called carrier aggregation. This part of the technology allows multiple carriers to be combined into a single channel using several frequency bands. To make this happen, carriers will need to employ MIMO (multiple-in, multiple-out) antennas in devices that will use LTE-Advanced. This will cause two things to happen. One, smartphones will need to have much bigger batteries to accommodate the energy drain from this new technology. Two, our phones will necessarily get bigger at first to be able to fit both the larger battery and the extra antennas.

Of course, this isn't going to happen very soon. Right now there are only a few global companies testing the new technology; however, the carriers can't drag their feet on this either. Current industry predictions suggest that by 2016 mobile data demand will increase by 18-25 times what it currently is. This will dramatically strain the current LTE networks, most of which aren't even fully finished yet. Luckily, many of the major carriers world-wide like, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and China Mobile are each making plans for this eventuality. In the meantime, unless some dramatic breakthrough occurs in the development of both more powerful batteries and miniaturized antenna, we can expect our phones of the future to be massive in size and massive energy hogs (at least for a time).

Source: PhoneArena

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
With data speed always increasing and companies (specifically Verizon) doing away with unlimited.... how do they expect us to stay under the cap? Faster is better but if I only have 2 gigs a month do I really need anything father than LTE?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
With data speed always increasing and companies (specifically Verizon) doing away with unlimited.... how do they expect us to stay under the cap? Faster is better but if I only have 2 gigs a month do I really need anything father than LTE?

Still though, when I can stream a high def video just fine over current LTE service...why even bother with LTE Advanced. I 100% agree with you about the caps. I think that once they get everyone off unlimited, they'll put unlimited back up, but make it way more expensive. That way people will more than likely upgrade to the way more expensive unlimited plan. Hell, with a 2gig cap, you may as well stay on 3G. I watched a few episodes of The Office from HuluPlus and ate threw 1.5 gigs. Its utterly pointless.

Beardface

Reaction score
Yeeeeeaaaah... I agree to a certain extent... 2016 should be around the same time that we're also going to be getting the new battery technology out that will drastically increase battery output relative to the size of it (something like 10x-20x the storage for relative size). So yes, while the need for battery storage and output to increase will be there, we'll also have the technology out there that will have already dramatically increased battery life while decreasing battery size. Doubt you're going to see any real different in physical size when LTEa is introduced.

hotice

Reaction score
Still though, when I can stream a high def video just fine over current LTE service...why even bother with LTE Advanced.
I agree, forget LTE Advanced for phones. Maybe it's a good idea on tablets and laptops that have more physical room for a larger battery. LTE is great and since the LTE chipset on the Snapdragon S4 made the power consumption reasonable. Before that the only phone with decent battery life and LTE was the Razr Maxx. LTE is fast enough for what people do on phones. I hope they don't start forcing LTE advanced radio's on phones before the battery life is good like they did with current LTE.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FoxKat old avatar :)

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)

Faster data speeds means you eat up data faster which makes you hit your data cap quicker which in turns makes you upgrade your data plan or shaft yourself by going over which in turn makes them more $$$.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about VoLTE. If there's a significant improvement in quality/clarity you'd almost have to upgrade, especially if you do any business with your phone.

hotice

Reaction score
Don't forget about VoLTE. If there's a significant improvement in quality/clarity you'd almost have to upgrade, especially if you do any business with your phone.
Oh man, I hope they don't push that either. Right now it takes a lot more power...I think 4x that of standard calling.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Technology is always changing and always improving. 4 years ago we had 3g phones, 4 inch screens, and had to o/c our phones. Now we have quad core devices, 2 gigs of rams, and lte speeds that are faster than some broadband connections. We are at now where we could only imaging 4 years ago and I expect it to be the same in 2016. Mobile technology will improve and by the launch of lte advance we will have cellular and battery tech that will be able to continue to manufacturer phones that are able to handle it. Heck by then we will have hologram devices that we will interact with.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Faster data speeds means you eat up data faster which makes you hit your data cap quicker which in turns makes you upgrade your data plan or shaft yourself by going over which in turn makes them more $$$.
It really depends on what you do on your device. Take johnomaz example of HuluPlus. If you watch 3 episodes of a TV show and you eat threw 1.GB of data on LTE, guess what? You are going to eat 1.5GB of data on 3G as well assuming the same quality video. If you browse 100 websites on 3G, and use 200 MB of data, then you browse the same 100 websites on LTE, you are going to eat through 200MB as well.

I think that once they get everyone off unlimited, they'll put unlimited back up, but make it way more expensive. That way people will more than likely upgrade to the way more expensive unlimited plan.
I don;t think it will be that soon, but I do think it will happen. Technically, atleast at this point, nothing is forcing them to drop unlimited if they buy the phone out right.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
It really depends on what you do on your device. Take johnomaz example of HuluPlus. If you watch 3 episodes of a TV show and you eat threw 1.GB of data on LTE, guess what? You are going to eat 1.5GB of data on 3G as well assuming the same quality video. If you browse 100 websites on 3G, and use 200 MB of data, then you browse the same 100 websites on LTE, you are going to eat through 200MB as well.

I don;t think it will be that soon, but I do think it will happen. Technically, atleast at this point, nothing is forcing them to drop unlimited if they buy the phone out right.

That's true, but on LTE everything is significantly faster so you have more time to through more data.
By the time this comes around we will need it for other cool new technology and things like hd will be replaced with 4k.

Sent from my vzw Galaxy Note 2

comk4ver

Reaction score
I was about to say volte versus lte-a... but the idea that all carriers use the same bandwidth sounds like a money facret for us.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score

Gah! November 2012 - 17 GB, December 2012 - 15 GB, January 2013 - 9 GB of usage. I stream video like a madman. 2GB/mo is NOT for me...