Low Credit?

PWN3R

Reaction score
I have decided that I'm going to buy a Motorola Droid, but I'm having trouble because our credit is low and the kind workers at the Verizon store say they need a $400 down payment as insurance? So I sold my iPhone and PS3 just so I could get this phone, but the thing is I don't know if it's worth all that I've lost and if we can afford the rest of the two year contract. So my question is should I only go with the data plan for internet or ask for a lower down payment?

BTW the $400 that they want is for the phone and other accessories/plans which is usually only around $230 all together.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but you'd be far better off getting a free feature phone and get your credit in order.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There are no Data only plans on VZW.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droidfish

Reaction score
Yikes, you really wanted this phone. You might want to ask your self why your credit score is so low to begin with don't buy it if you can't afford. It's only a phone. I've sold things to pay a bill(a ps3, lol), but I wouldn't recommend selling things in order to take on an extra bill.

The truth is you can answer your own question without our help, just be honest with yourself.

Sorry to come off all preachy, I'm not trying to assume anything as far as your personal finances go because only you know that.

nateccnn

Reaction score
MSN Communities has a great web community that helps people build their credit scores. It starts with learning to live within your means. Pay down all your loans and revolving credit. Put money aside for rainy days. Build up a 6 month reserve so you don't have to sell things when you lose your job. After all that is done, then it is time to buy the toys. And yes...the Droid is a toy. Unless your employer provides it becasue it is needed for a job, it is not a neccesity. Cell service, for that matter, is not a neccesity.

I really don't want to see you dig this hole any deeper cuz it will make the droid suck!

Nate

gruve

Reaction score
Kind of a perfect example of why you have bad credit, living beyond your means. Paying VZW $400 isn't going to help your credit score, they keep the money then return it to you after a year incase you stop paying your bill, ie: early termination. VZW doesn't report to the credit bureau, they will only report you when you stop paying then send it to collections.

iPirate

Reaction score
Droid is awesome and all but I wouldn't sell my xbox for it!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
will you run into the same problem if you bought it at walmart or wirefly. Just a thoght.

iPirate

Reaction score
don't jump to judge and say he has bad credit, he said low. When a person is new to this country they have no credit and are often forced to pay insurance like the OP

jabro

Reaction score
As far as credit companies are concerned low credit is bad credit. And he had good enough credit to get an iPhone in the past which means he did something to make it worse.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Or he has no established credit at all. You might be better off getting the Droid off ebay and/or seeing if you can get it flashed to a different network, or setteling with a cheaper android phone from a cheaper carrier like Tmobile.

One benefit though is you will get that 400$ back after 1 year with 3% interest if you can keep consecutive payments up.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would rather work some ot before getting rid of an xbox/ ps3. But with that said; I use my droid everyday but have not played my gaming system since January.