Lost. Dir

SallyC

Reaction score
I noticed on both my internal and external memory that I have a directory named lost.dir and I'm wondering if I need this? I read somewhere that it's for Mac users and I'm windows if that matters.

I also read it's orphan files which made me wonder if there are any applications for cleaning up orphan or temp files?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You are correct in your thinking but if you delete it the phone will just create the folder again. One of those things that won't hinder the phone if it is gone, but the phone wants it there anyway.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
You are correct in your thinking but if you delete it the phone will just create the folder again. One of those things that won't hinder the phone if it is gone, but the phone wants it there anyway.

So it's okay to delete the folder's contents just to free up room?

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
So it's okay to delete the folder's contents just to free up room?

Ya, but once you delete the folder, check back later and there will be another folder created.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah same as he ^^^^ said, anything you delete will probably just reappear after a restart of the phone. Or if that app that put it there is started up. You have plenty of space, what you deleting for :) Not even Spring yet

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
You have plenty of space, what you deleting for :) Not even Spring yet

Ha! I do have plenty of space, but I'm new to all this and enjoying digging around, learning what's what, and fiddling about.

Not ready to root yet though. :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Understandable, basically the SD card is free reign. They are not going to put anything on there that will render the app or phone useless, because the sd card can be removed or get damaged. So anything you delete or move will just be put back on there if it is needed next time you restart the phone. Also rooting really opens the phone up to more digging but you can do some damage because you have full access. But it is great being able to delete all the crap ware you don't want and install programs that require root access.

Plus with these easy root and unroot process of this phone, basically just plug into your computer and click a button and it does the rest.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
Understandable, basically the SD card is free reign. They are not going to put anything on there that will render the app or phone useless, because the sd card can be removed or get damaged. So anything you delete or move will just be put back on there if it is needed next time you restart the phone. Also rooting really opens the phone up to more digging but you can do some damage because you have full access. But it is great being able to delete all the crap ware you don't want and install programs that require root access.

Plus with these easy root and unroot process of this phone, basically just plug into your computer and click a button and it does the rest.

Thanks. I can't imagine not being the admin on my computers but I have been working with them for years. I also have seen the damage the uninformed can do. So for now I'm probably best off as a 'user'.

At least for now.