lose root after ota?

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Will this question be resolved? I seem to ask questions noone has answers to on here. So as title states,will I lose root if I accept prompted its update? And if I do,will it be easy to get back?

jamjr74

Reaction score
Short answer yes u will most likely loose root. I did 2 ota updates while rooted and both times lost root. I just re rooted and had no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Short answer yes u will most likely loose root. I did 2 ota updates while rooted and both times lost root. I just re rooted and had no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. I'm not worried about the ota now.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
OTA will break your root. The best way to go about this is to download the app Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. You open it and select "protect root." Then you "temp unroot," take the OTA, when its fully installed and the phone has rebooted open the app and "restore root."

This comes in handy because for the new updates the old root method does not always work.

OP
B

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
OTA will break your root. The best way to go about this is to download the app Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. You open it and select "protect root." Then you "temp unroot," take the OTA, when its fully installed and the phone has rebooted open the app and "restore root."

This comes in handy because for the new updates the old root method does not always work.

Thank you. I was previously unaware of this app. Will definitely give it a try

OP
B

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Dl the app,checked that root access was true,clicked the "protect root" root button,it reset,and then I re opened the app and it seems to not want to save back a protected copy of superuserSU. am I doing something wrong?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Are you just trying it to try it?

Proper steps for OTA survival are:
1.) Protect root.
2.) Temp unroot. (This will unroot your phone temporarily)
3.) Install OTA (or reboot if you are just testing it.)
4.) Restore root.

This app worked for my X2, my HD and my Nexus 7. It should work for your phone as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
B

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Oh. Duh. Shoulda read more on the app. SuperuserSU does the same thing rootkeeper does from within the su app

EDIT: superuserSu won't update binaries.when I click accept,it just reboots the phone. Going to try another superuser app.

Last edited:
OP
B

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
So it seems I'm stuck with superuserSU. no uninstall option in app list,tries using root explorer to delete apk and delete it from sys/bin and no such file exist in bin. Can't get superuser to overtake superuserSU and binaries will not install. Also update fails,when it reeboots phone goes into recovery and does nothing else. I'm lost :( someone help

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
In SuperSU can't you go to settings and at the bottom there is an option for full unroot? This may only work for the paid version of the app, I don't remember. If you do do this though you'll need to re-root.

OP
B

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
In SuperSU can't you go to settings and at the bottom there is an option for full unroot? This may only work for the paid version of the app, I don't remember. If you do do this though you'll need to re-root.

I can't use any su app functions as the binaries will not update. I open the app

View attachment 60784

Get that screen,click continue,and the phone resets,doing nothing else.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Shot in the dark here, do you have busy box installed? Is it up to date?

OP
B

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Can't get it to install. When it says install bb,it just re sets the phone.