Loose USB port? Try this.

brando56894

Reaction score
This may seem like common sense to some but there's an easy way to tighten up a loose USB port on your droid. My first droids port became loose about 2 or 3 months ago and it was extremely annoying in the car dock, I just got a replacement one and it's port was loose to, so I decided to try something.

All you have to do is bend the USB housing inward a little where it splits (on the bottom side) with a thin flat object, such as a razor blade. Use a twisting motion instead of a prying motion and your droid's USB port will be as tight as size 0 jeans on a fat girl! :happy:

Do this at your own risk!!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is indeed a solution, but I'm not sure it's the best one.

Not all of us have this delicate touch and could just end up breaking the usb port altogether.

PLus if the user had to go exchange it and happened to do it in store, I would think the employee would see this and conclude the customer was tampering with the phone in the first place.

Good idea, but use at your own risk

OP
B

brando56894

Reaction score
Yes, it does need a delicate touch but you don't need the hands of a sniper to do it, just a slight twist. The only way an employee would know that you did this was if you were sloppy/careless and scratched all around the port or broke a piece off. There weren't any solutions I could think of outside of tying a rubberband to the cord and securing it around the phone somehow.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My usb port was getting loose last month so I did exactly this. But about a week later it got loose again. I figured instead of trying to do it again and potentially damage the phone, why jot alter the charger which is so much cheaper. Now this probably won't help with a dock it should help with a charger. What I did was bend the two prongs on the bottom of the charger out, very gently. Then I cut a thin strip off of a business card, and slipped it under the two prongs and gently pressed them back down. Then I taped the rest of the strip of cardboard to the cord. This increased the thickness of the charger just enough to be snug and not fall out.

aefe5779-d094-91e5.jpg

I know its not the best picture but you can see what I mean.

tappin and a talkin

Justadad56

Reaction score
Loos USB Port

Hey friends, just a 60 year old Grampa, married for 39 years. Anyway, a quick fix to repair a usb port is to buy some dental cleaners or picks from princess auto. They are sharp and curved so be carful. Note, make sure all ports are unplugged from a power source before working on them. You can easily with a magnify glass if needed, just pry up each end very lightly near the middle of each connector. Easy, just don't over do it and it will be a tight as new. Good luck

migrral

Reaction score
Had problems too:
-charger might not be original, check Findings on Galaxy S4 charging current - xda-developers. mine is original so moving on.
-phone's dock might be too loose, put a little bit of tape on top of usb cable small connector; worked like a charm for me, fixed random disconnects from pc.
-cable might be broken internally, open and re-solder (shielding is also important); this fixed slow charging for me too.

Crichton333

Reaction score
Hey friends, just a 60 year old Grampa, married for 39 years. Anyway, a quick fix to repair a usb port is to buy some dental cleaners or picks from princess auto. They are sharp and curved so be carful. Note, make sure all ports are unplugged from a power source before working on them. You can easily with a magnify glass if needed, just pry up each end very lightly near the middle of each connector. Easy, just don't over do it and it will be a tight as new. Good luck

This usually works for me. Quality info.