Looking for razor rom

706woodman

Reaction score
Hello I am looking to root my RAZR and I am coming from the dx that was rooted running cm9. I have some features I'm looking for,like built in blacklist, and phone spoof abilities so I can go to sites that block mobile phones.I have never rooted a RAZR but I have the 1.8 utility already download and have read up some on rooting it,but I will take any extra advice from you guys if you have any.Thank you!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hello I am looking to root my RAZR and I am coming from the dx that was rooted running cm9. I have some features I'm looking for,like built in blacklist, and phone spoof abilities so I can go to sites that block mobile phones.I have never rooted a RAZR but I have the 1.8 utility already download and have read up some on rooting it,but I will take any extra advice from you guys if you have any.Thank you!
The RazrUtility is by far the best and safest way to root your Razr in my opinion. Make sure you extract the .zip file to its own folder before you try to run it (the utility will not run correctly if you try to run it from the .zip). Having the right drivers on your PC is important...the utility has the latest drivers...make sure you give your PC time to recognize and install them. Also, use the usb cable that came with your phone...not all usb cables were created equally. Recommend you have at least 80% charge on your phone...do not flash, root or take an OTA upgrade with a Razr with less than an 80% charge. That maybe a little over kill, but be safe rather than sorry. When you connect your Razr to your PC you will have the opportunity to select which type usb connection you want...do not choose mass storage. Make sure you have selected usb debugging on your phone under developer options. Just follow the on screen instructions and the developers notes and you should be fine.

OP
706woodman

706woodman

Reaction score
Re razor

The RazrUtility is by far the best and safest way to root your Razr in my opinion. Make sure you extract the .zip file to its own folder before you try to run it (the utility will not run correctly if you try to run it from the .zip). Having the right drivers on your PC is important...the utility has the latest drivers...make sure you give your PC time to recognize and install them. Also, use the usb cable that came with your phone...not all usb cables were created equally. Recommend you have at least 80% charge on your phone...do not flash, root or take an OTA upgrade with a Razr with less than an 80% charge. That maybe a little over kill, but be safe rather than sorry. When you connect your Razr to your PC you will have the opportunity to select which type usb connection you want...do not choose mass storage. Make sure you have selected usb debugging on your phone under developer options. Just follow the on screen instructions and the developers notes and you should be fine.
thanks for your reply I'm a little confused on the driver part,I must have them I stalled cuz the first time I connected my phone it said windows is installing device drivers. Also I tried to install them from my utility but it just sat there and wouldn't install them.but they must be on their cuz when I plug in my phone it recognized it.I have extracted the folder to my desk top and have opened the root tool just looking around at the options and just getting familiar with the tools on it.I'm not quite ready to take the plung just yet.but I am planning on rooting soon.I just want to make sure I know all the steps first.I also want to know how to sbf,or get out of any trouble that I may encounter bootloop, or the dreaded brick,and I am aware that their is no battery pulls on the RAZR correct? So I guess my next question is where to get the original sbf file for the RAZR? I have used rsd lite before and am familiar with it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
thanks for your reply I'm a little confused on the driver part,I must have them I stalled cuz the first time I connected my phone it said windows is installing device drivers. Also I tried to install them from my utility but it just sat there and wouldn't install them.but they must be on their cuz when I plug in my phone it recognized it.I have extracted the folder to my desk top and have opened the root tool just looking around at the options and just getting familiar with the tools on it.I'm not quite ready to take the plung just yet.but I am planning on rooting soon.I just want to make sure I know all the steps first.I also want to know how to sbf,or get out of any trouble that I may encounter bootloop, or the dreaded brick,and I am aware that their is no battery pulls on the RAZR correct? So I guess my next question is where to get the original sbf file for the RAZR? I have used rsd lite before and am familiar with it.
It sounds as if you have the drivers installed already...good. There are no sbf files as in older Android phones. The files used on the Razr (and other newer Android phones) are Fastboot files. You can use rsdlite to load the Fastboot files onto your phone or use a utility like RazrUtility to do the same thing. In RazrUtility 1.8, 1.81 and 1.82 option 1 restores your phone back to stock .211 using Fastboot files. If you can get your phone into AP Fastboot you can use the utility to restore your phone back to stock. Another option is to install Safestrap (or bootstrap, but most are recommending Safestrap now) to create a "backup" of your stock ROM and to give you the opportunity to get into recovery at phone boot up should you need to recover from an operation that has not gone as planned. Simply put, Safestrap "interrupts" the boot process at phone on and gives you the option to continue the routine boot process or to bypass that process and go into recovery (I think I got that right).

OP
706woodman

706woodman

Reaction score
Great info,lot different than my dx.so i just connect the phone, set debug and select option other than mass storage and run option 2 and that's it? And of i need to restore via utility option 1? Is their any thing i need to do in the boot menu before i restore?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Great info,lot different than my dx.so i just connect the phone, set debug and select option other than mass storage and run option 2 and that's it? And of i need to restore via utility option 1? Is their any thing i need to do in the boot menu before i restore?
No, the restore function will wipe cache/data etc. It will restore your phone to the same condition your phone was in when you first took it out of the box. So, any apps, pictures, video, music etc that you have on your phone will be wiped clean. It will not affect anything you have on your external sd card.

OP
706woodman

706woodman

Reaction score
Got the RAZR rooted and safestrap installed, went ahead and made a backup, but it went through the process and the last line it said error. It went by so fast that all i saw was error. Is that normal? Or do i need to try again? I used bootstrap on my dx and it alwaya said some thing bout error but never caused any problem. Thanks