Long press MENU in Contacts issue

jerrad707

Reaction score
As most of you probably know, many apps allow you to long press the MENU button to bring up the keyboard to help searching for a name/app/etc. but while in the "PEOPLE" app (the stock contact directory) if you long press the MENU button, it DOES bring up the keyboard, but if you type something (in order to quickly find a specific contact) the letters just pop up on the screen and don't go away. To make it worse, it doesn't even search for the name you are typing, it just puts the letters on the screen. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there an alternative way to sort/search while in the "People" app?

davea

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your: "it just puts the letters on the screen."

If I bring up people and long press menu I can search for , say, "John" and it will first bring up the J's and then as I type o, then h and then n all the Johns show up and in my case there is only one so the contact "John" is up and I can press the contact and dial or whatever.

OP
J

jerrad707

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your: "it just puts the letters on the screen."

If I bring up people and long press menu I can search for , say, "John" and it will first bring up the J's and then as I type o, then h and then n all the Johns show up and in my case there is only one so the contact "John" is up and I can press the contact and dial or whatever.

Maybe my phone is retarded, but if I type something it just shows up on the screen but it never actually goes to the letters (in my contacts) I'm typing. For example, if I type "JOHN" it will still be at the top of my contacts (in the A's) yet "JOHN" will stay on my screen until I pull the battery. pretty lame...

davea

Reaction score
OK, I was messing around with mine and I got letters I searched for to show up white on a dark grey background box. They will not go away.

I feel your pain now.

OP
J

jerrad707

Reaction score
OK, I was messing around with mine and I got letters I searched for to show up white on a dark grey background box. They will not go away.

I feel your pain now.

I'm glad that you understand what I was talking about now, but still frustrated (as you probably are) that this happens. I wonder if this is a bug, or practical for another reason?

chetman7

Reaction score
I too was playin around with mine and got it to do the non erasable black box on the screen that doesn't go away.

why not press the search button instead of long pressing the menu key to search through your PB

OP
J

jerrad707

Reaction score
I too was playin around with mine and got it to do the non erasable black box on the screen that doesn't go away.

why not press the search button instead of long pressing the menu key to search through your PB

Thank you for that tip, I had forgotten we could do that from within the phonebook.:)

As for the gray text box that shows up, does anyone have an explanation for that, and why anyone would need it? Furthermore, once you have the gray box on your screen, does anyone know how to get it off of the screen without a battery pull/power down?

supergreen

Reaction score
Solution...?

Thank you for that tip, I had forgotten we could do that from within the phonebook.:)

As for the gray text box that shows up, does anyone have an explanation for that, and why anyone would need it? Furthermore, once you have the gray box on your screen, does anyone know how to get it off of the screen without a battery pull/power down?

I just got my Droid Incredible and immediately had this problem. After serching the Internet for hours, I couldn't find any information on the problem. This post seemed to be one of just a few from people who were having this problem.

I don't know what the problem is, but I found a way to get the box to go away: From the home screen, click on Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Switch to the Running tab/filter and locate "People (HTC Corporation)" (the one with the contact card icon, not the phone icon) and click it. Now click "Force Stop."

Now you can go back into People and you will see the text box is gone. This is the only way I have found to make it go away. It seems like after doing this, the quick search feature will work for a while, before doing it again and I have to do a Force Stop again.

If anyone else knows how to permanently fix this issue, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.