Lollipop 5.1 on Motorola device

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yes all Nexus 6s are made by Motorola. Question is, has anyone who purchased their device direct from Motorola received the 5.1 update?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nexus 6 or moto x 2.

Nexus 6 I believe some have. But you can manually update it yourself. Especially if you have modified anything (ie root, custom recovery, bootloader) you can manually flash the ota. But to your question about moto I don't know as I manually update.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I bought this Nexus 6 & a developer edition Moto X (Ghost) directly from Motorola. Neither phone has prompted me for a 5.1 update. I've updated this phone myself. The Moto X has been prompting me to update to latest version of KitKat. I'm not sure if that's from Verizon or Moto. But my bet is it's from Verizon

Tapped from a Nexus 6

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Curious about the Nexus 6. I'm not one to root and flash. Just digging the device the way it is.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If you're enjoying the Nexus 6 the way it is, then I think you'll be happy with it. If you want help with unlocking & updating, we're always here to help

Tapped from a Nexus 6

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is it possible that a Nexus 6 purchased from Motorola won't get updated via OTA if it's used on Verizon's system? Since Verizon doesn't/won't recognize the IMEI.

madmuthertrucker

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I could be wrong, but I thought that updates for the Nexus came directly from Google, like the app updates do.

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
Well I have also heard the same the nexus devices do receive updates from Google directly...Caz is google own devices,,,.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I could be wrong, but I thought that updates for the Nexus came directly from Google, like the app updates do.
I thought that also. And I know the updates, even for nexus devices, go out in bunches or phases. Just wondering if the decision is to serve carriers who sell the device before sending updates to individuals that buy from the play store or Motorola.

Guess that's a question for Google.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I read over on XDA that one user was successful with updating their Google Play Nexus 6 used on Verizon by turning the phone off, removing the Verizon SIM card, and rebooting and updating via WiFi without the SIM card in the phone. I haven't done this personally, as I updated mine manually, but it would certainly be worth a try.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I read over on XDA that one user was successful with updating their Google Play Nexus 6 used on Verizon by turning the phone off, removing the Verizon SIM card, and rebooting and updating via WiFi without the SIM card in the phone. I haven't done this personally, as I updated mine manually, but it would certainly be worth a try.
Hmmm, I'll have to check that out when I get home this evening.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Hmmm, I'll have to check that out when I get home this evening.

You may have to manually "check for updates" in settings if it doesn't prompt you instantly. If not, I have had success clearing data for the google services framework .apk for past devices, but I have read of conflicting reports of that "causing issues". It certainly didn't cause issues for me when doing it for updates on my old Moto X 2013 and Moto X 2014 though.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Tried removing the SIM card, rebooting and manually checking for updates, to no avail. Will give it a few days, then try it again.

madmuthertrucker

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I used Wugfresh's toolkit to update to 5.1. I'm the E version. Choose side load ota or back to stock is what I did. There videos and tutorials

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
So basically its carrier issue, that is stopping updates....Well Google has to look in to it....