Location Services Differences

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
Under <settings> <location services> there are:

Google location services

Standalone GPS services

VZW location services

I'm not sure which of these, or combination of these, that should be running? According to the blurb under each one it sounds like they all do the same, or a similar thing.

I thought I might save some battery if I didn't need all of these running concurrently.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have mine all off all of the time, if I need to use the maps I turn on Standalone GPS and turn that back off when I am done. You need Verizon one on when using Verizon services such as VzNavigator, and Google one on for stuff Google specific.

Honestly I don't notice any battery difference when I accidentally leave Standalone on after using it. If you don't have a map program open it shouldn't ping the GPS.

jaseman

Reaction score
You can leave the top three in the list checked all the time. I also check the "Location and Google Search" check box. I do not share pictures. This DOES NOT mean the GPS radio is actually running. It just means that when it does need to run, or when you choose to have it run, it will use whichever services you have checked for it to use. You will know when the GPS radio is actually running by seeing a little icon in your status bar show up. It looks a little bit like a small snow flake. When that icon is in your task bar then the GPS radio is running and using battery juice. So go ahead and check all three if you want to (I do as it makes it work more accurately) then turn on your mapping or navigation application and you will see the snow flake (GPS) icon turn on in the task bar. Close the mapping or navigation application and the GPS icon will disappear thereby turning off the GPS radio.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You can leave the top three in the list checked all the time. I also check the "Location and Google Search" check box. I do not share pictures. This DOES NOT mean the GPS radio is actually running. It just means that when it does need to run, or when you choose to have it run, it will use whichever services you have checked for it to use. You will know when the GPS radio is actually running by seeing a little icon in your status bar show up. It looks a little bit like a small snow flake. When that icon is in your task bar then the GPS radio is running and using battery juice. So go ahead and check all three if you want to (I do as it makes it work more accurately) then turn on your mapping or navigation application and you will see the snow flake (GPS) icon turn on in the task bar. Close the mapping or navigation application and the GPS icon will disappear thereby turning off the GPS radio.

Absolutely correct. Even with all of the location services enabled, they only run when an app is actively using them, as indicated by the crosshairs in the notification bar. It's not like leaving WiFi on, which constantly scans for available networks. The GPS will only run when something is using it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What he ^^ said... with the exception of the new "where's my significant other" app.. then when you stray outside your boundaries, your phone starts screaming a high pitched alarm until you call home. :blink: :rofl2: :) I kid...

OP
R

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
What he ^^ said... with the exception of the new "where's my significant other" app.. then when you stray outside your boundaries, your phone starts screaming a high pitched alarm until you call home. :blink: :rofl2: :) I kid...

:biggrin: