Localytics Study Says 33% of All Android Tablet Sales in US are Kindle Fire Products

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
global_android_tablet_share.png

A new study was performed by mobile app analytics company Localytics, and the numbers are interesting. Supposedly, a full one-third of all Android tablet sales in the United States are some variant of the Amazon Kindle Fire. The B&N Nook accounted for 10% of sales, bringing the combined total of content provider tablets to 43% of all U.S. tablets sales. Additionally, the Samsung Galaxy line of tablets accounted for 9% of the U.S. market, with the Google Nexus 7 garnering 8%.

Their study also concluded that the U.S. was the largest tablet market in the world with 59% of global tablet sales. Supposedly, the UK is in second place with 5% of tablets sold, while 2% is in Korea, and another 2% are in Spain. The remainder of the globe was 31%.

Of course, keep something in mind. It appears this data might be skewed a great deal. This report seems to run contrary to others we have seen not that long ago. Here's a quote explaining why that may be the case,

It is probable that Localytics’ data is a little skewed in favor of the USA and towards the Kindle Fire. The reason for this is that the company is based in the USA and the data is generated from apps using Localytics analysis service. Although Localytics says that there are 500 million+ unique devices running its software, it is certain that most of these are from American or European authors. The number of Asian apps which incorporate the service is probably very low. Also it is likely that authors who are keen to compare and contrast the performance of their apps across multiple platforms (including the Kindle Fire) are using Localytics services. This implies app writers who are releasing their products on Apple, generic Android, Kindle and Nook. If this is true it means that the number of Kindle users will be skewed as a higher than average number of Kindle apps will incorporate the Localytics libraries than those released just in the Google Play Store.

Until Localytics releases comparative data on geographic location of the authors that use their software, along with data on what percentage of the different eco-systems are used, it is best to take these statistics with a grain of salt.

Of course, if this is all true, it begs the question of why it is even posted to begin with. The only answer we could come up with was that it might spark an interesting debate as to just how useable and valuable all of these marketing studies really are. It certainly seems like most of the data nowadays is bent in such a way as to promote an agenda of some kind. What do you guys think? Are there any companies out there worth listening to for this type of marketing data?

Source: Kindle-FireForum via AndroidAuthority

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Kindle Fire is on...well, fire. :blink:

WestOkid

Reaction score
I can't speak to the study. I agree there are biases. Market researchers have to get paid too.

As for the fire itself. I bout 2 Kindle Fire HDs this Christmas for my daughters. I really wanted to by the Nexus 7, but the Dad in me superseded the techie and went with the Fire HD. The problem with the nexus 7 is basically the same problem with Android in general. It's just not a very intuitive interface. It does a lot of stuff, gives you a lot of freedom, but it does all this in a cumbersome manner. My kids are 7 and 8, they pick up an I pad and they are off to the races. Not a single question. I rooted my nook color with CM Jelly Bean (poor man's Nexus 7) and let them try it. I had questions for a week and no security. The Kindle is so easy to use and glitch free; Again, no questions. I can also turn on FreeTime, which is essentially a content controller that gives me piece of mind. I am not an Apple guy, but if it wasn't the Fire HD, I would have had to go with an iPad Mini. The current crop of Android interfaces are more polished when compared to there predecessors, but that doesn't mean it's polished. Tablet's like the Kindle fill that void and still allows the Android eco-system to grow.

eagle923

Reaction score
I totally agree with WestOkid. My mother in law bought herself an Kindle Fire HD (suprised the HECK out of me) and loves it. She wanted an ipad but said $500 was too much. Got a 8.9 HD for $250 and said its so easy to use, she loves Amazon Prime and it wasn't as expensive as she imagined due to the abundance of free apps. (Even though its the amazon apps only, she doesn't care).

We at DF forget that many many many people do not follow/care about this stuff. They get a tablet and its either horrible or great. The iPad and KF both hit that "great" for most people.

jayman350

Reaction score
i have an og fire, as does my fiance. my mom and brother both got fire hd 8.9s for christmas this year. my future mother-in-law is the only one with a full tablet, and its an original 7" galaxy tab.

this study surprises me only in the sense that i thought it would be a larger share for the kindles than it is.