LMY47I Factory Images Just Posted

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The LMY47I factory images were just posted to Google for the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6. The bootloader and the radio both appear to be the same (radio is .95R from LMY47D and LMY47M) but I have yet to flash any of it. If you guys see/know of any changes from other builds, I certainly am curious. I am mostly interested to see if the boot.img has changed at all as I am unencrypted and would prefer to stay that way.

Factory Images for Nexus Devices - Nexus Files for Developers Google Developers

Last edited:

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Good catch.

I don't care too much if I am encrypted. It has its uses.

I would like to know what it does change.

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I don't use any sort of passcode or anything on my lockscreen so I wasn't utilizing the encryption anyways - atleast from my understanding of what encryption actually does.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I believe you may have encryption confused with forcing you to lock your screen.

What they are referring to when they say encryption is encryption of the data on the device. It makes your data unreadable. It is highly recommended you use a lockscreen pin, trace or password.

5396c1e2c093acd597b0e039b7565770.jpg

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I believe you may have encryption confused with forcing you to lock your screen.

What they are referring to when they say encryption is encryption of the data on the device. It makes your data unreadable. It is highly recommended you use a lockscreen pin, trace or password.

5396c1e2c093acd597b0e039b7565770.jpg

I know what encryption is - I just read in multiple places that if you don't actually use any sort of passcode to lock your device (I just use the standard swipe to unlock) that the only thing encryption accomplished was to slow down your read/write speeds.

From what I read - you don't actually get the "benefits" of the encryption if you don't protect/lock your phone at all.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Okay. I must have misunderstood what you were saying.

This is a good step, though it has been there forever. Encryption isn't likely to come on as default. They already back peddled on the N6 coming out with with encryption on by default. From what I read not all of them are encrypted. I could be mistaken.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Flashed the system and radio image, didn't have the heart to do another full wipe. "Android is upgrading.., 143 of 166"

We'll see what is what.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Flashed the system and radio image, didn't have the heart to do another full wipe. "Android is upgrading.., 143 of 166".

I know exactly how that feels. I keep a lot of data on my phone, so backing it up can be a PITA. Then doing the TiBu, then the NANDroid backup. But going from major version to major version it is a must. Small ones like these are usually fine.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I know exactly how that feels. I keep a lot of data on my phone, so backing it up can be a PITA. Then doing the TiBu, then the NANDroid backup. But going from major version to major version it is a must. Small ones like these are usually fine.

Yep, I just did two of them for the other two factory images they posted going from 5.0 to 5.1. I feel like I am fine now. Re-rooted using TWRP, up and running.

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Would you mind taking a screenshot of About Phone and posting it Sydman?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
e893d5e0725b167ee40cf9ce9fe901d0.jpg

Tap'd from my Big Whale

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Now this could be placebo effect, but it feels a lot snappier. Not seeing screen or app lag yet.

Tap'd from my Big Whale

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Now this could be placebo effect, but it feels a lot snappier. Not seeing screen or app lag yet.

Tap'd from my Big Whale

Did you stay unencrypted I assume? I really want to flash it I'm just waiting to find someone who has flashed the boot.img to let me know if it is the same as E/D.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes, stayed encrypted.

Tap'd from my Big Whale