Live TV on Droid

monkeyboy383

Reaction score
Ok, I know there's apps that let you watch live TV with pc links, and limited stations from CBS and such. I'm willing to pay whatever I have to... I want to at least be able to watch chicago bears games on my phone. I moved to AZ, and I'm living with someone, and they refuse to get satellite. There are sports bars, but I'm not really a drinker, and don't want the big crowds. There's no computer here, so I'm gonna die once football season comes back around. I need help, I'm begging you all, for the sanity of one android lover to another!

Reaction score
I know with SPB TV you can get fox chicago.. but I think it's all weather all the time =/ not sure though

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well I think directtv has a deal, not sure if you need the home service or if you can just get a mobile subscription. Would be nice tho to see a free program, ya would think with all the stations now digital it wouldnt be such a big deal to get just over the air stuff..I want to see the Eagles too in the fall :D

ldimick

Reaction score
This is not a droid solution but one you can consider. I had a friend who was transferred to Hong Kong. So what he did was find a friend at home and bought a Slingbox and he watched his friends TV via laptop. Not elegant but very functional.

OP
M

monkeyboy383

Reaction score
I hate bumping threads, but the seasons coming up sooner and sooner... so bump lol.

Ps. My droid is my computer for a while, works great for the most part

FormerHPB

Reaction score
The slingbox is probably the best way to go. THey are working on an android client. Not sure when they plan on releasing it though. I'd take a hard look at picking one up myself when they do though. The slingbox looks like a slick device.

OP
M

monkeyboy383

Reaction score
Again, I don't have a computer, isn't that tethered to one?

FormerHPB

Reaction score
I think you need a PC just to get it all setup. But once it's up and running, I dont' think you need a PC. Borrow a buddy's laptop to get it all setup?

pudah

Reaction score
Ok, I know there's apps that let you watch live TV with pc links, and limited stations from CBS and such. I'm willing to pay whatever I have to... I want to at least be able to watch chicago bears games on my phone. I moved to AZ, and I'm living with someone, and they refuse to get satellite. There are sports bars, but I'm not really a drinker, and don't want the big crowds. There's no computer here, so I'm gonna die once football season comes back around. I need help, I'm begging you all, for the sanity of one android lover to another!

Do you have a TV tuner card on your PC? If not you can pick one up pretty cheap and then either plug your cable into it (limited to what channels it can tune) or an antenna (There is a pretty common HD tuner with an antenna you can get... I think it might all be USB as well - I think by pinnacle). Now your TV can tune in TV and sometimes Radio (if it's a combo tuner card). There is a free program called ORB that allows you to stream any media (I use it for movies, music TV and radio) on your PC including streaming media from tuners or webcams, etc., to their web-site. You can then log in to this web-site via any other PC and stream the shared media. You can also log in to this web site and stream via a lot of cell phones, including the droid. I was able to do it on other dumb phones with data plans as well, so it doesnt require flash or anything like that. There are even android apps for Orb, but I find their web site works better. On the site you can choose one of many formats for streaming, so you can make it work on different devices. In other phones it used to just stream, but on the droid it looks like it's downloading something, then that download opens to the video player and streams. Not as simple or cool as the TV on the Voyager with it's built in antenna, but cheaper and more options...

djstarion

Reaction score
Best bet would be just to find someone that will let you use their Sunday Ticket login and download the Superfan app

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Someone just really needs to make an app for live tv.. sunday ticket a ripoff because how many times are you really going to watch it from your phone? Especially if you dot ave direct tv in your house. But it would be nice to know you CAN watch an nfl game if you want to on your phone..

Go Eagles! :D

Cmmsh

Reaction score
The slingbox is probably the best way to go. THey are working on an android client. Not sure when they plan on releasing it though. I'd take a hard look at picking one up myself when they do though. The slingbox looks like a slick device.

I have had slingbox for three years. Phenomenal. Does everything it's supposed to. Worked on my previous Windows phone, and would love to have it on Droid, but they probably won't have an app until after Flash is functional. When they do, jump on it. Worth every cent.

Now if only DirecTV would come with app for MLB Super Fan like they do for NFL until the sling is usable on Droid ...

rjm5151

Reaction score
DirecTV has exclusive rights to the nfl package and the brand of the sunday ticket. There would be no legal way to receive that without the use of directv. Now there are websites that stream the games via different players many of these streams that i have seen wont work on the droid. Maybe get a cheap laptop and stream these games using public internet or tethering your phone. If u ever wanted links out info about streaming sites you can send me a pm.

bpad10

Reaction score
I too am a Bear fan and have had Direct TV with superfan for the last 2 years. I live in enemy territory (20 minutes from Green Bay, WI). You are able to download it to your Droid and watch the Bears LIVE. ITS FANTASTIC!!!! Wife and I went Christmas tree shopping this past winter and I didn't miss a play. It's fairly expensive, but well worth it. I was also able to watch other games on it too. Of coarse it drains the battery pretty quickly. Was able to only watch half a game with a full charge....

Bear down...