Liquipel Miraculously Waterproofs Your Smartphone and Potentially Other Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
liquipel-device-waterproofing-chemical.png

Do you believe in magic? I am not referring to the entertaining antics of illusionists like David Copperfield or David Blaine. No, I am talking about real transmutation effects that make the impossible possible. Well, if you didn't before, you might after checking out this cool new product. Of course, really, if you want to get philosophical, it's an easy argument to suggest that all "magic" could simply be the "mystical quality of advanced technology to the uninitiated." Imagine if someone from the middle ages saw an Android phone... they would likely want to burn the user at the stake for fear of its witchcraft.

Interestingly, in this age, technology advances so quickly that it is starting to become a lot harder to be impressed by anything new that comes out. It seems like everyday there is some new "nano-tech-this" or "shrinking micro-processor-that" which blows away the previous generation. Sometimes, though you can still be surprised by something that seems almost magical because it changes things so dramatically. This new product I am about to share with you, Liquipel, almost makes you believe in magic, or at least the seemingly magical nature of advanced technology.

Yahoo! and ABC News recently did a video article on this product called Liquipel. It's some kind of advanced chemical treating process that invisibly makes your smartphone impervious to water (unless you take it very deep where pressure would simply crack the device). What is so amazing about this process is that it still allows the phone to "breathe" so its internal components won't overheat. The video really speaks for itself. What do you guys think? Do we have a new "disruptive" tech that could change the way we use electronic devices? We've included a video demonstration from the company's website below, but the demonstration done on the Yahoo! video was even more impressive so don't forget to check it out.

[video=youtube;jedv15ov3sw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jedv15ov3sw[/video]​

We want to give a shout out to cirtbrethren, for posting about this product previously!

Source: Yahoo! - ABC News and Liquipel

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow! Now you can not-make-calls from your IPhone underwater!

djsiva

Reaction score
They show it submerged under water; what about the headphone jack? Seems like that would be a great place for more water than normal to enter into the phone.

cturcotte224

Reaction score
They show it submerged under water; what about the headphone jack? Seems like that would be a great place for more water than normal to enter into the phone.

The way I understand the process, the coating is applied to the internal components, the chips in the phone, not to the outside. So even if water gets into the phone through the headphone jack or speakers it won't do damage.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Watch the part where they talk about the process of applying the coating. Its a 'gas chamber' essencially, so all parts, including the headphone jack and the grill over the speaker (and the speaker itself for that matter) get coated. Now, you probably dont want to whip it out of the water and go plugging stuff right into it, but I dont think it would be any more vulnerable than the speaker or the battery cover on a non iPhone.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Watch the part where they talk about the process of applying the coating. Its a 'gas chamber' essencially, so all parts, including the headphone jack and the grill over the speaker (and the speaker itself for that matter) get coated. Now, you probably dont want to whip it out of the water and go plugging stuff right into it, but I dont think it would be any more vulnerable than the speaker or the battery cover on a non iPhone.

[video=youtube;HenwJcHChnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HenwJcHChnw[/video]

(they need to coat the microphone, imo)

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Sign me up, I'm all about preparing my phone for the unexpected. Not that I'll ever drop my phone into water, but you never know.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I wonder how long it lasts until the interior grime build up, that cellphones tend to get, messes up the water-resistance?

That be some black magic there! I AM impressed.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder how long it lasts until the interior grime build up, that cellphones tend to get, messes up the water-resistance?

You have a point about that. That brings up the question of what happens in an area of really hard water or high mineral deposits, or even salt-water. How long will the components last with caliche build-up on them?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
60 bucks is cheap insurance. i would consider this if i was not near replacing tbolt --

B-Unit

Reaction score
You have a point about that. That brings up the question of what happens in an area of really hard water or high mineral deposits, or even salt-water. How long will the components last with caliche build-up on them?

Well, as they said (in one or both vids, Im not sure) this isn't so you can take a swim with your phone, its to protect it from accidents. If you have an accedent involving salt or very hard water (or soda, anything thats going to leave residue) its probably advisable to 'wash' with relatively clean water.

Dust/grime buildup shouldn't affect the waterprofing as its a nano-scale hydropobic solution, meaning that even if a larger dust particle settles on top, the water is still not going to penetrate the nano layer.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Sign me up, I'm all about preparing my phone for the unexpected. Not that I'll ever drop my phone into water, but you never know.

apparently there are a lot of android (and probably iphone) users that use their phones while on the toilet - i can see this saving quite a few phones! although i'm not sure i would want to put it to my ear after i fish it outta the toilet - some things are better off "dead" after something like that! ;-)

nemosfate

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
as long as it saves me from those drunken nights of getting pushed into the pool im down to try it lmao

BigZig

Reaction score
but did you read the fine print at the end of the video it says the dont not endorse putting any electronic device in water and not to try to recreate what is shown in the film so how waterproof is this if they are already covering there backsides.

jerkwad

Reaction score
as long as it saves me from those drunken nights of getting pushed into the pool im down to try it lmao

I thought that those kinds of parties only happened in movies!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums