Link ring and notification volume in ICS?

thunder550

Reaction score
My notification and ring volumes are not linked, which is fairly annoying at work when I use the side buttons to decrease ringer volume then get a text message that can be heard from the other side of the office. I've done some poking around and haven't seen a way to link the two together. Am I missing something or is this a key bit of functionality that is missing in ICS?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My notification and ring volumes are not linked, which is fairly annoying at work when I use the side buttons to decrease ringer volume then get a text message that can be heard from the other side of the office. I've done some poking around and haven't seen a way to link the two together. Am I missing something or is this a key bit of functionality that is missing in ICS?

Function was taken out with ICS, we don't know why.

Penny677

Reaction score
I hate this feature too! I hope there will be a fix in the near future

OP
T

thunder550

Reaction score
So it's not just me then, good :) In the meantime, is there a way to reassign the side volume buttons to control notification volume rather than ring volume?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So it's not just me then, good :) In the meantime, is there a way to reassign the side volume buttons to control notification volume rather than ring volume?

Not that we have found yet, still have to go in manually and adjust the notification volume.

mattman5000

Reaction score
Yes. That is a very annoying "feature".

I have a smart action enabled to reduce both ringtone and notification volumes when I arrive at the office.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There's not a way that I know of either... :mad:

Penny677

Reaction score
I realize that there are some apps out there that you can get for volume control but that's just ridiculous IMO. It's the volume for crying out loud. The button on the side should turn it down or up. An app shouldn't be necessary for that!

aarong03

Reaction score
I had same issue after ICS update. I use cVolume and it works fine. You go into settings in the app and notification volume and check it. This will allow you set the volume for notifications different from your ringtones.

Dingbat

Reaction score
Yes. That is a very annoying "feature".

I have a smart action enabled to reduce both ringtone and notification volumes when I arrive at the office.

How'd you do that? I can't find "notification volume" in Smart Actions. Thanks!

mattman5000

Reaction score

Yeah, sorry. I was wrong when I said that. I looked at it later and realized that Smart Actions doesn't have a setting for notification volume. Since then, I have switched to Llama, which is a third party app similar to Smart Actions. Llama is able to control both ringer and notification volume.

aarong03

Reaction score
Get cvolume from the market. Under settings you need to check notification volume not(Use incoming call volume for notifications). Works great.

OP
T

thunder550

Reaction score
cVolume completely disabled my notification sounds. Trying to figure out how to fix- uninstalled and still no sounds or vibrations

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

aarong03

Reaction score
cVolume completely disabled my notification sounds. Trying to figure out how to fix- uninstalled and still no sounds or vibrations

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure why your notifications were disabled. I've used cVolume since my Original Droid and never had a problem. Double Check to make sure all your phone settings are not on silent. If you had not already.