Lighting the Standard Function Row

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK. This is a really dumb (or at least obscure) question. My wife and I have new Droid Razr Maxxi. Since we're coming from the dark ages of the original Droid, we're trying to adjust to the rearrangement of the "Options/Home/Back/Search" row on the bottom of the screen. I had no idea how deeply embedded the "Back/Options/Home/Search" order had become in our heads but suffice to say that it's a real pain to readjust.

Anyhow, it's considerably easier if the choices are lit on the bottom of the phone. But I can find no way to control the behavior and the light/no light behavior appears to be almost random. Can anyone tell me how to control the behavior to keep the bottom row "lit" or at least give me a clue as to what actions trigger the lighting and turning off of the lighted row?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The hard keys are lit based on light sensor...

You can download Light Flow - it has an option to control backlight but it is only a checkmark selection - no other info on control.

Deron

Reaction score
There is a light sensor near the top left of the phone, adjacent to the ear speaker. This is the sensor that senses the phone is next to your head (which no light will be sensed) and thus turns the screen off during a call so your ear doesn't activate the touch screen. This light sensor also senses background ambient light levels and determines if the room is poorly lit enough to warrant turning the back lighting of your capacitive buttons (back, menu, search, home).

To trick the phone into turning on the back light in the capacitive buttons, simply place your finger over the light sensor.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Cyan Tapatalk

Last edited:

Einsteindks

Reaction score
The order of the dedicated 'buttons' you speak of is a long-standing Droid standard. I made a similar adjustment when going from the LG Ally to DroidX.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The order of the dedicated 'buttons' you speak of is a long-standing Droid standard. I made a similar adjustment when going from the LG Ally to DroidX.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Thanks, folks. Not sure how long it would have taken me to figure out the light sensor activation. And yes, I'm aware that the order of the dedicated buttons was changed in the next models after the original Droid, I believe. I hadn't realized how imprinted the original order had become with me until I began using the Razr. :biggrin:

EugeneE

Reaction score
There is a light sensor near the top left of the phone, adjacent to the ear speaker. This is the sensor that senses the phone is next to your head (which no light will be sensed) and thus turns the screen off during a call so your ear doesn't activate the touch screen. This light sensor also senses background ambient light levels and determines if the room is poorly lit enough to warrant turning the back lighting of your capacitive buttons (back, menu, search, home).

To trick the phone into turning on the back light in the capacitive buttons, simply place your finger over the light sensor.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Cyan Tapatalk

The sensor is locking my screen during the call, but the screen remains on during the call. And my capacitive buttons do not get back lighted under any lighting condition, whether the light sensor is covered or not. Is there any other setting that can be adjusted to get that function working? Thanks!