LG Officially Launches the G2; Full Specs & Features Detailed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-g2-launch-event-df.png

The official launch event for the next LG flagship, the G2 just occurred and the device is a powerful new entrant to the smartphone world. Qualcomm and LG worked hand in hand to make this impressive new product. LG made it clear they wanted to focus on their five new innovations which they learned from studying regular users. Here they are listed,

• Design - Rear Power button, Volume Control (works for right-handed or left-handed) - Improved battery design helps make this possible. - The rear key is the only physical button on the device.
  • Display - Designed to be eye and hand friendly - Dual-routing feature uses an improved touch-sensor that uses two connections - thinner bezel and smaller design yet larger display - uses graphic RAM (reduces power usage) - IPS Edge-to-Edge Full HD (includes over 6 Million sub-pixels compared to 4 Million from competitors)
  • Camera - Optical Image Stabilizer - can take solid pics in a moving car - 13MegaPixels
  • Sound - 24 Bit & 192kHz Audio Quality
  • UX - Outstanding User Experience - Includes a number of new user experience software innovations listed below:
    • Knock On - simply knock on the screen to turn it on and off
    • Answer Me - Answers your phone when you pick it up
    • Plug & Pop - plugging in a headset or USB cable auto-launches the music app
    • Text Link - text messages auto-sync and populate your calendar or maps functions - save, search and organize automatically with one touch
    • Quick Remote - Control all your home electronics with your LG G2
    • Slide Aside - move freely between apps and multi-task easier
    • Guest Mode - "kid mode" - multiple customized unlock keys for your phone including a guest mode
Here's a list of specs and features,
  • 4G LTE & 4G LTE-A (where available)
  • 5.2-inch Display 1080p Display
  • 2.26GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU
  • Sapphire Crystal Lens 13MP Camera with Optical Image Stabilization
  • 2.1MP front-facing camera
  • 3,000mAh battery
  • 2GB RAM
  • Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
  • 16GB or 32GB Storage Options
  • Touchless Controls
The LG G2 will launch internationally and will come to all four major U.S. carriers, timeframe TBD.

Overall, the event was less cheesy than the Galaxy S4 event. It had just the right amount of entertainment and marketing speak, although the build-up could have been shortened a tad. LG did a great job with this press event, and they can honestly say their new phone is now currently the "top-of-the-line" smartphone on the planet (based upon specs).

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
If they release a Google Edition of this device on Verizon, I could potentially see myself picking one up. However, I realize this is most likely just a pipe dream.

Iggy08

Reaction score
What if they made this into the Nexus 5? Like with the G1, a little bit different but basically the same exact phone

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So, again no SD slot?

Otherwise, I really like most of what their saying. I think the volume/power button could be "revolutionary" (the tiny power button on top isn't always the easiest to use).

If the camera makes all photos better, then great, otherwise I rarely have need to take pics from a moving car.

"Knock on" and "Answer me" sound like really useful features that should be on every phone (I'm talking to you, Google).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm content to sit this generation of phones out with my 18-mo old Rezound. In 6-12 more months I think things get really interesting with more storage and probably 4gigs of ram, along with maybe some interesting camera advancements.

Also, give me a radio blaster so I can control my tv/audio components hidden away in the cabinet :)

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Well if a 32GB Nexus version comes to the google pay store and works on Verizon. I could see myself getting it. Especially if its priced like the current Nexus 4. I doubt its going to happen. But a guy could always dream I guess.

This device is a serious power house. 3GB of ram would have been nice for a more future proof phone. Otherwise very solid specs.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
  • Knock On - simply knock on the screen to turn it on and off Ummm....I can see people hitting it too hard and cracking it or damaging the internals. Pass.
  • Answer Me - Answers your phone when you pick it up Want' if I don't want to talk to them but am looking at who it is. Pass.
  • Plug & Pop - plugging in a headset or USB cable auto-launches the music app What if I am using headphones for youtube, netflix, a game. Pass.

KaChow

Reaction score
This is an impressive device... Check these Videos out. Enjoy!

Mutiple Video Reviews:

[video=youtube;bY4mxN87hug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bY4mxN87hug[/video]

[video=youtube;C6LHMBmArws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C6LHMBmArws[/video]

[video=youtube;Y7YcdF0nY1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y7YcdF0nY1g[/video]

Check out this feature... for the parents...

[video=youtube;DhQKxfvg4qI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DhQKxfvg4qI[/video]

New Text Message feature

[video=youtube;Ef9Yw2d7fv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ef9Yw2d7fv8[/video]

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
What if they made this into the Nexus 5? Like with the G1, a little bit different but basically the same exact phone

If LG and Google were to announce that, and it was available before Christmas, I'd be begging for them to take my money!

Incredibilly

Reaction score
So, again no SD slot?

Right, who is really able to embrace streaming files from the cloud with capped data? It's fine for those of us still on unlimited, but we are slowly going the way of the buffalo.

Plug & Pop - plugging in a headset or USB cable auto-launches the music app What if I am using headphones for youtube, netflix, a game. Pass.

There are already music apps with this capability. I purposely disable it, for that^ reason.