LG is Planning to Launch a Smartphone that is a Tier Above the G Series

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
150304_p10_LG.jpg

Obviously this is just a marketing tease, but it still has us intrigued. LG made the bold claim that they plan to launch a new smartphone that will be even higher-end, and stand at a higher tier than their flagship G series.

According to Juno Cho, CEO of LG Mobile, at MWC 2015,

We are planning to release a product that stands above the G series. It will be launched during the second half of this year.

That is a little vague, and Cho didn't elaborate on any details, but he did share the following.

"Producing our own mobile application chips is very important. As LG Electronics has been consistent in developing these, we plan to gradually incorporate into our new models,"

Cho made sure to share that LG wasn't planning on leaving the G4 out in the cold though. He added,

"We are aiming to become the world's third-largest smartphone manufacturer this year in terms of annual sales. LG Electronics will be aggressive in promoting the G4 in major target markets such as Korea and the United States,"

What do you guys think? Is this a realistic goal for LG?

Source: LG plans to use own processors in handsets

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
L series..wait has to be higher..

hmm lets see if I can figure this out.

Samsung copies Apple but LG copies Samsung...sort of.

Think .... A series.
LG A1
st_whatsinside_steaksauce_f.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
L series..wait has to be higher..

hmm lets see if I can figure this out.

Samsung copies Apple but LG copies Samsung...sort of.

Think .... A series.
LG A1
st_whatsinside_steaksauce_f.jpg
I see absolutely nothing on the G series that makes me think of Samsung whereas I totally agree, Samsung is doing its best to clone Apple
I was thinking H57 ;)
b70b900a1f7b855ef9867c0961e93a1b.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Struggling to make a profit on your smartphones? It's because you aren't making enough different models! Probably, anyway.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't see LG coping anyone. I do see them as one of the most innovative companies out there. From phones to TV's to washing machines, their technology is top tier.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The market is saturated though. There came be enough people who swore they didn't need a smart phone left who will actually cave & get one. & the people that did cave are used to holding onto their dumb phones for years. Those of us that like to upgrade will continue to do so, but the market has shifted imo & now varieties of the same thing aren't going to turn much profit.

With that said, because I am the tech nerd that I am, I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe it is me....maybe I am just seeing things

maxresdefault.jpg

LG-G2-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-300x241.jpg
PRO2vsNote3-1.jpg

But to my the icons and widget looks strikingly similar.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is me....maybe I am just seeing things

maxresdefault.jpg

LG-G2-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-300x241.jpg
PRO2vsNote3-1.jpg

But to my the icons and widget looks strikingly similar.
The LG and Samsung specific look nothing alike other than a general picture of a camera, for example, but the Google ones I agree are just alike
There's not but so much that could be different without somebody bringing up some obscure patent as a basis for legal action. When judges sided with Apple that "rectangular with rounded corners" is patentable I think most innovation departments got shut down and employees laid off.
The power and volume buttons on the back of the G series phones are not only innovative but are actually easier to use after a few days than the ones that dominate all other makers and are harder to go back to the buttons on the sides than getting used to them on the back.
I miss my power button being on the back still.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't see LG coping anyone. I do see them as one of the most innovative companies out there. From phones to TV's to washing machines, their technology is top tier.

They're one of those companies that attempts to "make it better". They're rarely at the forefront of new technology, or even the bleeding edge of existing tech.

I can't think of any product where I'd rate LG as one of the top 2 or 3 brands (maybe the old flip phones). They ARE a quality brand across a number of products, however.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
My mom owns an LG 60" TV. She's had it for about 3 years. It turns itself on and off every 15 minutes or so, so either it's bad technology, or it's possessed by Ultron. ;)

Whatever the case, I am consistently more impressed with the LG G series of phones than I am with the Samsung Galaxy S series of phones, except for this last round. That S6 Edge looks sweet.

STILL, I do not want it for other reasons, unless they build a developer version.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of their stuff is solid. I am a fan of their smartphones. I had the LG Viper and traded that for a Nexus 5, and really enjoy the Nexus 5. Some of their TVs are pretty good too... solid value for the money. They are almost as good as a Samsung for a bit less money.

I will disagree with you on their appliances though. I had an LG Microwave Oven (came with my house). The Magnetron went out after only a couple of years. This is very rare. That's usually the last thing to break on a Microwave. I've seen Microwave ovens that were 30+ years old still working fine (from other brands).

Also, I have a pretty new and expensive LG Dishwasher (also came with the house) and it does a mediocre job of cleaning the dishes. It sometimes leaks when running and also occasionally stinks after running. This is after I practically wash my dishes before putting them in the thing.

Finally, my house also came with an LG Oven/Range. It's another high-end/expensive version with the dual-oven and several other fancy features. It does a great job as an oven and stove, but the buttons to activate it and set temperatures require too much pressure and feel like they will wear out quickly.

Overall, I wouldn't buy LG appliances again if it were my choice. It's possible my experience is isolated, but these three devices have soured me on LG's appliance division.

Serene

Reaction score
Well, let's see. It makes the waiting game more interesting. Hmm...

KooleyCat

Reaction score
It's going to be between LG & Samsung this time. I'm not an LG fan but somehow this got me curious.