LG Has Announced Their Display Embedded Fingerprint Scanners!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
v8zfwgan-jpg.77509

The feature that we all hoped to see in the latest batch of flagships may be ready for the next batch of flagships! We were all hoping to see an embedded fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S8, but instead we got an oddly placed rear fingerprint scanner. LG announced today that they have completed development of their display embedded fingerprint scanner. The new feature will recognize your fingerprint as well as button type sensors, and will allow phones to be waterproof, scratch resistant, and sleeker. LG has not announced plans to include the new embedded fingerprint scanner in their upcoming devices, but they are currently in talks with other smartphone manufacturers to commercialize the new fingerprint scanners before the year is finished. This is pretty exciting news.

via TheVerge

Attachments

• V8zFWGan.jpg
    V8zFWGan.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3,092

Caesars

Reaction score
This would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
This would be great paired with a rear sensor. The rear sensor could be used when pulling the phone out of the pocket and the front would be used when it is on a table or in a car dock. I doubt they would do both, but I am interested to see how the implementation of this goes.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if these are going to be like the current scanners, where you slide the finger over it, or will it scan a stationary finger from under the glass?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
FINALLY, an idea/upgrade that is actually worth something.

Except I disable the lock on my phone in some locations. In others, I use my smartwatch as a trusted device. So I really have no need for this, but it would be nice to have a waterproof phone (eventhough I've never dropped mine in water...and haven't had a case or insurance in years).