LG G5 Case May be Part Plastic [Video]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting video report which suggests that the outer shell of the LG G5 case is plastic on top of metal.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I was watching this video earlier ...interesting. I also watched another video where the module part leaves a gap on the phone and the paint was chipping a little on the new phone ..I suggest peeps really give this phone a one over before jumping in...I personally think LG is taking a step back with this new phone ..just my 2c

6s Plus

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apparently this became a big issue over the weekend. The "plastic" layer on the LG G5 turned out to be paint primer underneath the colored paint. There are still people complaining that it is isn't "all metal" though because of this. Here's a long writeup on AndroidAuthority: Plastic, primer and paint: an in-depth look at the ongoing LG G5 saga

What do you folks think?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree with the rep from LG in that article. It's painted metal. It's made of metal. Personally, I think it sounds like they were smart there. They put the antenna sleeve on the back and covered it with primer and paint. As we've covered in other threads about phones with a metal construction, that metal can get in the way of the signal if not done right. This was a slick way around that.

As for other build quality issues, well, those are a bigger deal than the "metal-ness" of the phone, to me.

They tried something new here. Seems like they've still got some work to do on it, but I don't think that should take away from the ideas behind it. Hopefully, they'll be smart enough to issue replacements for those with defects like @bkdodger mentioned, but this ridiculous freak out over the make-up of the body of the phone makes little to no sense to me.