LG G Pad 8.3 On Sale for Less Than a 2013 Nexus 7; Just $224.99

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-G-Pad-83-Android-official-2.jpg

While the 2013 Edition of the Google Nexus 7 is undoubtedly one of the best values in Android tablets, that doesn't mean there aren't great alternatives. A new sale on the LG G Pad 8.3 creates a great example. The tablets regular price is around $279.99, but a sale over at Newegg.com brings it down just $224.99. This is a tad bit cheaper than the smaller Nexus 7. This might be the perfect time to nab one of these if you were thinking a 7-inch tab is too small, but a 10-inch tab is too big.

Here's a spec recap for the G Pad 8.3:
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (Quad-core 1.70GHz)
  • 2GB RAM, 16GB Flash Storage
  • 8.3" Full HD IPS (1920x1200) Display
  • Wi-Fi, BT, MicroSD Slot, Dual Camera
  • Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
  • Black Color
  • MicroSD Slot
  • Premium Finish
  • Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
As you can see, there is one downside to this offer. The G Pad is running an older version of Android than you will find on the Nexus device. If this is not as important to you, check out the source link below and use the use the promo code EMCPHHC28 at checkout.

Source: Newegg

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
Three things persuaded me to order this tablet.
1: I have an LG G2 phone and I really like the LG skin on it, so I thought it would be nice to have a phone AND a tablet with the same skin. I'm so use to using the touch on/off feature on my phone, I find myself trying to turn on my Nexus 7 that way every time I pick it up.
2: I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and a Toshiba 10" tablet and I'm looking forward to see what the 8.3" size does for me. If it works out, I may get rid my 10".
3: The other thing that sold me is an SD card slot. I think they're being phased out.
I read all the reviews, not only on Newegg but others as well, before I placed the order, and the majority of them gave it good ratings. The price with the promo code and 3 day shipping come to $255.00.
Can't wait to get it!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got mine from Newegg when it was $250, this is a fantastic tablet, quality build, fantastic screen and real smooth performance, and once they load 4.4 KitKat on this it will be even smoother.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Having a G2 I was seriously considering getting one. But I already have a Nexus 7 v2 that does just fine for as little as I use it. Having had a Galaxy 8.9 in the past I really like that form factor. Big enough to look good but small enough to use one handed. One big downside to this tablet is aftermarket support will be very limited. Looking on Amazon there is a very small amount of cases and even smaller amount of screen protector choices. I imagine all of the major companies will be passing this one over for accessories in favor of the Galaxy line and Nexus 7.

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
Having a G2 I was seriously considering getting one. But I already have a Nexus 7 v2 that does just fine for as little as I use it. Having had a Galaxy 8.9 in the past I really like that form factor. Big enough to look good but small enough to use one handed. One big downside to this tablet is aftermarket support will be very limited. Looking on Amazon there is a very small amount of cases and even smaller amount of screen protector choices. I imagine all of the major companies will be passing this one over for accessories in favor of the Galaxy line and Nexus 7.

I too looked at the aftermarket supplies for this before I ordered it. The only thing I would want would be a case, which Amazon has several to choose from. But you know what, I have a case for every tablet I own (4 if you're counting) including a Nexus 7 2013,
but the only time I ever use a case is if I take a tablet out of the house, then I will slip that tablet in it's case. 99% of the time, they're ala natural.
I guess a dock of some sort would be nice, but I can live without it.
I dropped by Neweggs showroom, er, I mean Best Buy, at lunch today and took a sneak peak at one of these. Wednesday delivery can't be here soon enough!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Looks like best buy is still being used for window shopping. I thought they price matched.

Do they have them??? I may get some hands-on with it to see what I think. And I know my BB will price match online retailers.

@cybertec69: I'm not saying there aren't options. Just much less than other tablets. The bigger accessory manufacturers are not gonna bother with this one. Kinda like many of the big ones passed on making cases for the VZW version of the LG G2 because it was the black sheep of the G2 family. And also some of the other past less popular tablets like the Toshiba Thrive, Acer A500 and the original Transformer.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because manufacturers have not manufactured a plethora of accessories for this tablet, does not mean it's a bad tablet, the tablet is fast and smooth, great screen with solid build.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Because manufacturers have not manufactured a plethora of accessories for this tablet, does not mean it's a bad tablet, the tablet is fast and smooth, great screen with solid build.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

If it is anything like the G2 I'm sure it is an awesome tablet. I just like to have a wide variety of accessories for my device. And already have an N7 v2 I dunno if the change is worth it. I'll know better with hands on. In fact if I like it I am sure I will buy it on the spot. I'm am impulse buyer at times.

Tap'd from my LG G2

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
If you have a G2 and really like it, go to a BB and play around with it. Let's just see how strong your will power is.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Just went today. They don't stock it in store and no stores in the area do either. Prolly better. Lol

Tap'd from my LG G2

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
There's still Newegg. If you don't like it (which I doubt) you can send it back.

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
It's here!
The first thing I noticed was the size of the screen compared to the Nexus 7 and still feel comfortable in my hand. And the bezel is so narrow.
The screen was set at 70%, upped it to 80% and woo-hoo! Can't wait to stream a movie tonight.
The skin is exactly like my G2 phone, which is what I why I bought it.
Next come my Google account setup and then all the updates. Pretty fast.
Popped in a 64gb card and formatted it. Nothing exciting about that.
Now, let the tweaking begin.
There is one thing that bothers me. The brushed aluminum back is pretty, but it might be easily scratched. Time will tell.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's here!
The first thing I noticed was the size of the screen compared to the Nexus 7 and still feel comfortable in my hand. And the bezel is so narrow.
The screen was set at 70%, upped it to 80% and woo-hoo! Can't wait to stream a movie tonight.
The skin is exactly like my G2 phone, which is what I why I bought it.
Next come my Google account setup and then all the updates. Pretty fast.
Popped in a 64gb card and formatted it. Nothing exciting about that.
Now, let the tweaking begin.
There is one thing that bothers me. The brushed aluminum back is pretty, but it might be easily scratched. Time will tell.
look at my previous post, got this nice case from amazon.