LG Announces KizON Smartwatch for Kids

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-kizon-2.jpg

If you thought smartwatches were going to be nothing but a flash-in-the-pan fad, you might want to rethink that assessment. LG is going all-in on the product, and are now targeting all age groups. The newest smartwatch from LG is called the KizON and it is meant for pre-schoolers and grade school age children.

Yep! You read that right. Despite the fact that it is designed for kids, it's obvious this product is marketed for parents. The device runs 36 hours on one charge, has 64MB RAM, and uses 2G and 3G networks. It even tracks and reports your child's location via GPS and WiFi using the free companion app. This app pings parents with location updates throughout the day, and the watch's one button can be pre-configured to call a specific parent’s number. This is set up through the companion app on your Android phone or tablet.

Alternatively, parents can even call the watch and if the child doesn't answer within 10-seconds, it will automatically connect allowing the caller to listen in on whatever is happening.

Here's an excerpt from LG's announcement,

Battery life for KizON is rated for 36 hours and parents will be alerted via their smartphones when the battery on KizON falls below 25 percent. The band is constructed of eco-friendly polythiourethane (PTU) material that is water-resistant as well as stain resistant. A wide range of accessories featuring popular animation characters will be available for KizON, which comes in three attractive colors: blue, pink and green.

“Children as well as the elderly are ideal customers for wearable technologies,” said Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “Wearables allow us to stay connected without the worry of losing a device or the inconvenience of having to carry a large item in a pocket. At LG, we’re committed to exploring more ways to incorporate wearable devices into consumers lives in line with our vision to become a leader in wearables.”

KizON will make its public debut in South Korea on July 10 before its introduction in North American and Europe in the third quarter of this year. Details of availability and price will be announced locally.

At the source link below you can check out even more details, including the full internal specs of the device. It seems like someone at LG came up for a very smart reason to have a smartwatch. The only question I have is... if these become super popular, then wouldn't the bad guys which kidnap kids simply cut the watch off and leave it somewhere? Perhaps a further evolution of this concept will address that...

Source: LG

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
set ring tone to silent...
drop watch in someones bag...
call them...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can actually see that product booming here especially if apple copies...I mean invents the idea calling it the iKid and market it as a way to keep track of your child's location at all times. In a world where it seems like every day you hear of a kid getting snatched up it will play to those concerned parents.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We've (people, not me personally) have been putting microchips in our family pets for decades now, it's a wonder there aren't more companies pushing it in a human application type setting.
I imagine the cost would be an issue as opposed to a 1-2 hundred dollar watch.

tap'n on my S5

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Some may want it for their wife...lol