LG and Nvidia Kick Things off with a Tegra 2 Explosion!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia_tegra_2.jpg
According to a CES motivated press release on Nvidia's website, the new batch of Tegra 2 powered Android smartphones should really be called 'superphones'! Here's a quote from the official press release,
"Real super phones require real super chips," said Ben Barjarin, Principal at Creative Strategies Inc. "The new super phones being unveiled at CES will become an essential mobile computing device. And Tegra delivers these mobile computing capabilities for super phones better than anything else on the market."
Here's a few technical details from the press release on the Tegra 2 and the LG Optimus 2X:
Tegra 2 Highlights:
* The Tegra 2 super chip turbocharges the super phone category and brings a new wave of devices to life with never-before-seen experiences. It features:
o Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU -- The world's first mobile dual-core CPU for faster Web browsing, snappier response time and better overall performance.
o Ultra-low powered (ULP) NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU -- the ULP GeForce GPU delivers outstanding mobile 3D game playability and a visually engaging, highly responsive 3D user interface
o 1080p Video Playback Processor -- Watch 1080p HD movies stored on your mobile device on your HDTV, without compromising battery life.
* Tegra 2 enables new mobile media and gaming capabilities:
o For the first time, consumers will be able to game with multiple players using different types of devices. For example, a Tegra 2-powered super phone or tablet can be used to play with players on a desktop PC.
o NVIDIA demonstrated a prototype of Skype HD video calling on an Android tablet at its CES 2011 press conference. NVIDIA developed a reference implementation of HD video conferencing on Tegra 2-based tablets using SkypeKit. SkypeKit is a collection of software and APIs that allows virtually any Internet connected device to offer Skype voice and video calls.
* The LG Optimus 2X is the fast and hyper performance super phone:
o The Optimus 2X delivers faster performance, seamless multi-tasking, full HDMI and true visual gaming for a better user experience.
o Key specifications include
+ 4-inch WVGA screen
+ 8GB memory (up to 32GB via microSD)
+ 1,500 mAh battery
+ 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
+ HDMI mirroring
+ 1080p MPEG-4/H.264 playback and recording
I took the liberty of 'bolding' the features I thought were most compelling. Wow! :icon_eek: I think I'm going to have a nerd-gasm! What do you guys think of this sublime goodness?

Source: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/su...a-2-superphone-press-release.html#post1161418
by dgstorm

Last edited:

WishRyder

Reaction score
I'm chomping at the bit to get a Tegra 2 powered phone.

Yes, evidently people still use the phrase "chomping at the bit"

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I cant wait For CES tomorrow. I cant wait until these phones come out.

wolfpack219

Reaction score
My contract is ready for renewal with Verizon, but I can't do it until I have one of these new phones! Hurry the hell up verizon my D1 is looking more dated by the second!