Leaving the G3 due to lazyness.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
So I’ve been surfing Swappa lately looking for a good deal on a used iPhone 6 Plus 128GB and ran into one last week. It’s the same phone I had on order last September and decided to cancel. I was worried about size and knew that there were problems for me with iOS. After cancelling the Plus, I did end of buying an iPhone 6 on my birthday and tried it for a month before realizing that it would not work for me with the hotspot issues I had. A lot of users have said those issues have been resolved with updates and I can say after testing this weekend, they do seem to be gone. Android has gotten to be too much for me over the past few years. I just do not get into it as much as I used to, nor do I enjoy “figuring things out” like I use to do. I use to sit around installing ROMs and playing until my heart was content. Now, while I did root the G3, I never used the root access for anything. I mean nothing. I couldn’t even tell you why I went through the trouble of rooting it, other than it seemed like a good idea at the time. I’ve had the G3 ever since launch day with the exception of a month spent with the iPhone and a few weeks with the Turbo. (The Turbo was not a good phone IMO.) If everything goes as planned, I’ll be placing the G3 up for sale this weekend on Swappa, but I won’t be giving it away. After all, it is still a great device. I have nothing bad to say about it other than I’m just lazy and want a phone that works without me thinking about how to make it work. You may call me an iSheep if you want. I’ll just bah for you. ;)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Personally, I'm so entrenched in the Android ecosystem that iDevices make me feel like android seems to make you feel. On android, I get how to do things. On iDevices, I have to think and search to find settings and options and other things that, in android, I just seem to know where to go for.

Anyway, congrats on the new toy and best of luck! The important thing is for you to have a device that suits your needs.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I agree with JK here. While I'm entrenched in Android its not for everyone and doesn't suit everyone's needs. I love my Turbo, others love the G3 and so on and so forth. There's a device out there for everyone, yours happens to be an iPhone. My wife got a 6+ for work basically. So yeah we jab apple but in the end its like the car scene. Jabs taken on both sides but most have respect for the other.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Well, I'm not giving up on Android completely. I'm keeping the G2 around and wifey picked up a "new to her" Galaxy 5. Plus I still have the Nexus 7 and 10 tablets, so I'm not leaving the site. You can't get rid of me! Just saying goodby to the G3 ;)

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Get what makes you happy, I actually liked the iPhone 6, I feel that's what the iPhone should have been the last few iterations. iOS just works and you can't disagree there. But like the other two have said, I'm too much into Android both money invested in apps and familiarity to leave now.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm not surprised @scottysize . My wife has had iPhones for years. I am a MAC user and have a few other Apple products. They just work.

Enjoy your new toy...

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
LOL @scottysize I am going through the same thing. I just got an e-mail for $200 off an iPhone when you add a line on VZW. Seriously considering the 6 Plus. I too feel the same way about Android. I just find myself always wanting to make changes. And I am just not that into it anymore and honestly do not have the time. I haven't rooted a phone since my, well I honestly don't remember. LOL. I rooted my Nexus 7 but never did anything with the root access. I would still have Android to play with when the mood strikes on my N7. Just won't be doing it on my daily driver.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but with Android it is a "that just makes sense to go that route" and ios it's "why'd they choose that route? That makes no sense." in my mind.
With ios 8 I noticed much more "yeah that's how froyo worked, makes perfect sense" and with kit Kat and lollipop it's more "why'd they choose that route? That makes no sense".
Maybe you're just drifting toward Android of old as ios becomes more Android like and drifting away from Android as it becomes more ios of old like?
If ios 9 introduces more bloatware and fragmentation I'll swear it's a Gingerbread clone :D

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I personally would wait a few more months and get the next generation since it is just around the corner. I have the i6 Plus and it is ok. The "it just works" however, is just not the case. The wifi and cellular signals are the weakest of any of the phones in my household and we have 6 different phones. The Bluetooth is also crap. You cannot file transfer anything, the range from my back pocket to my headphones stutters music, and it acts wonky with my car.

I believe that it is the unibody metal casing that causes all of the issues. My protective case for it is minimal so I know that is not the cause.

It stutters and lags which I haven't experienced since the Galaxy S3. They skimped on the ram and it shows.

It is difficult to see the screen in direct sunlight as well. The screen is encased in a huge body. The phone is simply too large versus the screen size.

All is not lost though. It does take decent photos. Where I find my Note Edge is better at it you can't really go wrong with the 6 as a point and shooter.

There are also a slew of cases for it which gives you a gazillion options to personalize it. I went with a case from UAG. It is sleek yet super protective.

If you are into the cloud thing then iOS is for you. Their backup system is the closest thing that I have seen to a Nandroid yet. The backup and restore feature is awesome.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
My G3 just must plain suck then. I stand side by side with a guy I work with with his 6 Plus. I try to load a YouTube video or goggle maps and it never loads. His brings it right up. I don't get it. I never had any reception issues with my G2. The G3 just seems like reception is getting worse.

Tap'd from my LG G3

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My G3 just must plain suck then. I stand side by side with a guy I work with with his 6 Plus. I try to load a YouTube video or goggle maps and it never loads. His brings it right up. I don't get it.
The G3 just seems like reception is getting worse.

Tap'd from my LG G3

Have you dropped it or changed cases/covers?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
My G3 just must plain suck then. I stand side by side with a guy I work with with his 6 Plus. I try to load a YouTube video or goggle maps and it never loads. His brings it right up. I don't get it. I never had any reception issues with my G2. The G3 just seems like reception is getting worse.

Tap'd from my LG G3
That's interesting as there are few G3 reception issues reported and a ton of iPhone 6.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
That's interesting as there are few G3 reception issues reported and a ton of iPhone 6.

Could be area related Jeffrey. I always hear how Samsung phones have such great reception. Not for me in this area. My G2 was stellar. And the G3 was right up there with Motorola reception levels at first. Network data reception seems to have fallen off drastically over the last month in any area I am at. Wifi is all good.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Could be area related Jeffrey. I always hear how Samsung phones have such great reception. Not for me in this area. My G2 was stellar. And the G3 was right up there with Motorola reception levels at first. Network data reception seems to have fallen off drastically over the last month in any area I am at. Wifi is all good.
I agree Steve, location can make a difference. You may want to check the Apple Blogs as there seems to be issues everywhere.
I do know that my G3 got much better reception than my wife's iPhone.