Launch apps by voice?

LBJay

Reaction score
Ok I give up. My wife saw the new Verizon Droid commercial where the lady voice launches an app. She want to know what app is on the her maxx to do that?

I see nothing on the phone. Google Voice Commands doesn't do Apps. The people at the local Verizon store were clueless.

I know there are 3rd party apps to do it, but if Verizon highlights it specifically in a "Droid Does" commercial you'd think it was a "feature", wouldn't you?

Last edited:

SANhacker

Reaction score
I use Vlingo to "Open", "Text", "Call", "Search", "Find", etc. and it works great.
i.e. "Open" Pandora

jeff70

Reaction score
you can try the voice command app already loaded in the phone app directory before trying a 3rd party solution

it is not listed in choices after you start the voice command app but if you say for example "open ScoreCenter" it will open my ESPN ScoreCenter app or any other app you want

I thought it was strange that the voice commands app didn't list opening apps by voice as one of the choices so I just tried "open ______" one day to see if it worked and it seemed to work fine for the limited times I tried it

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stock opens apps for me too!

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

doug494

Reaction score
I'm cruising on here because I need to upgrade my Droid X and was considering the Maxx

Anyway

On my X the voice command is "go to" to open an app.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have double tap home set to voice commands, and I double tap it and it asks for command I say "Open Dropbox" and it loads the program. Using stock Voice Commands.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I have double tap home set to voice commands, and I double tap it and it asks for command I say "Open Dropbox" and it loads the program. Using stock Voice Commands.

Can't get that to work for me, but Vlingo does the job.

jeff70

Reaction score
Can't get that to work for me, but Vlingo does the job.

can't get the double click of home to work or voice commands? if it's double click home setup is settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program)

I don't use the voice commands much but I may give Vlingo a try one of these days

SallyC

Reaction score
you can try the voice command app already loaded in the phone app directory before trying a 3rd party solution

it is not listed in choices after you start the voice command app but if you say for example "open ScoreCenter" it will open my ESPN ScoreCenter app or any other app you want

I thought it was strange that the voice commands app didn't list opening apps by voice as one of the choices so I just tried "open ______" one day to see if it worked and it seemed to work fine for the limited times I tried it

WOW! How cool! Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea it did that because, as you say, it's not listed. Very cool!

Love this use for the double tap! I hadn't done anything with it because I felt like I had everything pretty much covered with various widgets. But with combining this with the (for me) newly discovered Open command is perfect.

Now I just have to remember the real name of my favorite apps. View attachment 49854 And it doesn't help when Google changes them!

rosariorose9

Reaction score
can't get the double click of home to work or voice commands? if it's double click home setup is settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program)

I don't use the voice commands much but I may give Vlingo a try one of these days

Actually I can't get either to work! Don't know what the problem is with the double tap home screen function, but it's never worked on my Maxx.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow, it's so interesting how many features are on these phones that some consider nothing out of the ordinary and others (even experienced Android users) are completely unaware are even there! I've known about Voice Commands for ages (well, ages in smart phone terms, i.e. the last several months). It works incredibly well. Still, there are always things I discover from others that I didn't know as well. That's the beauty of this open forum. It is a true community of people helping people for the better of all.

Perhaps the US Government (among others) could learn a lesson or two here! :biggrin:

SallyC

Reaction score
I totally agree, FoxKat. What's funny is I can't find 'Open' documented anywhere, including Google's Voice Action help page! Makes me wonder what other things it will do.

I'm going to have to start speaking to my phone more often! View attachment 49875

papaford1963

Reaction score

I'm not sure what you saying for certain but if you are (double click home first) that is incorrect, I mean if your double clicking first..instead it is settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program)

jeff70

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you saying for certain but if you are (double click home first) that is incorrect, I mean if your double clicking first..instead it is settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program)

sry the way I worded it may have been strange you are right there is no double clicking the home button first

first go to settings>applications>double tap home launch (pick your program) then you can double click your home button to access whatever program you set up

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Love this use for the double tap! I hadn't done anything with it because I felt like I had everything pretty much covered with various widgets. But with combining this with the (for me) newly discovered Open command is perfect.

Now I just have to remember the real name of my favorite apps. View attachment 49854 And it doesn't help when Google changes them!

Always glad to pass on any small amount of knowledge I have about the Droids, however I am surprised I was able to teach you something. You have been quite impressive with your knowledge over these phones in such a short amount of time in being here. Still happy to help just the same :)