Latest Droid X system update PROBLEMS

lionzion74

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I just joined Droid Forums in hopes of finding a solution to this most recent issue that I am having. I've owned my Droid X for close to a year now and haven't had any problems thus far. I just d/l the most recent system update 2 days ago, and since then I've been having the following problems:

- The home button no longer works at all. I have to press the back button (curved arrow button, to the right of the home button) as many times as needed just to get back to my home screen.

- I am no longer able to lock my phone. When my screen would time out before the update, I would press the power button and the slide lock screen would show. Once I unlocked it, I would then see the unlock pattern screen. Now since the update if the screen times out, when I press the power button to turn the screen back on it just takes me right to the home screen with no security measures. I've gone to Settings and checked everything but to no avail.

- Now when using the keyboard, long-press on the period key always defaults to the plus sign "+", where it used to allow me to choose various other characters (comma, question mark, etc.). Long-press on the period key still shows all the character options, but the plus sign is permanently highlighted in blue and won't allow me to choose other characters.

These are the only issued that I have noticed so far, and I've been unsuccessful finding resolution. If you've heard of or are having similar issues and know of a fix, please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

nan2825

Reaction score
Bump. Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful people around here. I too have an x but haven't had any of these issues. Did you try a battery pull? Anyone have any suggestions for OP?

Sent from my DROIDX

lark214

Reaction score
I had many problems after gingerbread and recently had to factory reset because my screen went black and it would keep shutting down. Thanks to forum I had backed up my apps. on the astro manager app. Now my phone works great and I have all my apps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dewie68

Reaction score
I would try a factory reset on the phone. Back up your apps if you'd like, when I did mine, i just backed up the contacts. Backing up apps takes too long and i feel that it's a nice refresh on the phone when you don't have so many installed and you can then just re install the essential ones. Try that, if that doesnt work then try calling Motorola or Verizona and let them know.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I would try clearing the system cache partition before a factory reset.

If factory reset...

I keep my contacts synced with Google (not VZ backup assistant). The only possible drawback is that if someone steals your phone they could delete contacts and they'd disappear from Google's servers.

Don't forget to backup your DCIM (camera) folder and any other data on your SD card before a factory reset.

rk2786

Reaction score
I have been having issues with punctuation on my keyboard when I type any punctuation my phone freezes and I have to restart is there a solution for this issue

Nkelly11

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem as you. It only just started happening this past Thursday. I guess I am going to try a factory reset if I can't find a better fix. Let me know if you figure something out.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Seriously, I have noticed that with each update I HAVE TO FDR because I notice problems. Just do it and you will experience a fresh/fast/perfect phone again.

RichSithus

Reaction score
I also am having a TON of problems... I can't access voice mail...can't turn on/off bluetooth...can't enter text in fields...can't sent text messages...it's a disaster! Not happy at all!

DoctorPDR

Reaction score
No kidding...

I'm pissed. I too got this new upgraded DROID Version and all I can say is...IT SUCKS! I'm so pissed. It has caused nothing but problems with my phone, including lagginess, freeze issues, intermittant and continued shut downs, and now my phone is no longer rooted as it once was.

I called Verizon to gripe about this update. First of all, this new upgraded version "automatically" downloaded to my phone. I have my phone set to manual updates, which means I have the final decision on whether or not I download an update. Not the case here...since Motorola made this decision for me. After my complaint with Verizon, they transferred me to Motorola (nothing like passing the buck) and told me that they do not do these updates and any updates comes from Motorola. So when I chatted with the person at Motorola, she told me that it doesn't matter that my settings were at "manual update" only and that this DROID version would automatically download. I replied "REALLllllllly? Is Motorola paying my cell phone bill? Did Motorola purchase my phone? What authorization did Motorola have in taking control of my phone?" As one would imagine, this upgrade CANNOT be removed so she transferred me back to Verizon (nothing like passing the buck and sending the customer in circles).

So, now that I'm on the phone with Verizon once again, I demanded a new phone with the old operating system. They are sending me one out which should arrive Monday (10-3-2011), but could not guarantee that the old version would be loaded on the phone. I told Verizon that this was unacceptable and that if I could not get my phone the way I had it before prior to this update, I would PROMPTLY switch to an iPhone. They told me they would accelerate the 2 year contract on the DROID X in order to make this happen, but I would have to pay the upgrade price. I stated I would pay NOTHING and that Verizon would issue me a refund for this DROID X (I purchased it in February of 2011) and apply those monies to the iPhone and if I owed anything more, I would happily pay those charges. I did NOT ask for these problems!!!

We'll see what happens on Monday, since I really don't want an iPhone. But all I can tell you is that I'm PISSED! My phone was set the way I liked it and working the way I liked it, and now it's all screwed up. I don't have time to be wasting for Verizon/Motorola screw ups...I mean Really?!!

Greetings All,

I just joined Droid Forums in hopes of finding a solution to this most recent issue that I am having. I've owned my Droid X for close to a year now and haven't had any problems thus far. I just d/l the most recent system update 2 days ago, and since then I've been having the following problems:

- The home button no longer works at all. I have to press the back button (curved arrow button, to the right of the home button) as many times as needed just to get back to my home screen.

- I am no longer able to lock my phone. When my screen would time out before the update, I would press the power button and the slide lock screen would show. Once I unlocked it, I would then see the unlock pattern screen. Now since the update if the screen times out, when I press the power button to turn the screen back on it just takes me right to the home screen with no security measures. I've gone to Settings and checked everything but to no avail.

- Now when using the keyboard, long-press on the period key always defaults to the plus sign "+", where it used to allow me to choose various other characters (comma, question mark, etc.). Long-press on the period key still shows all the character options, but the plus sign is permanently highlighted in blue and won't allow me to choose other characters.

These are the only issued that I have noticed so far, and I've been unsuccessful finding resolution. If you've heard of or are having similar issues and know of a fix, please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

sccx

Reaction score
I had glitches like email accounts not working (getting invalid certificate randomly) but the worse thing is my battery life is at least 25% worse!! It's scarily bad. Nothing else changed on my end. I am very annoyed. Plus all the extra apps that appeared that I don't want. Blah.

aquanaut

Reaction score
After the new update my phone has become basically unusable.

I can no longer answer calls, access my music or pictures, and though everything is prettier the battery dies quicker as you said, the phone over heats and there is just a list of problems.

jpulido2

Reaction score
Hello everyone just got the new update. Everything is working fine just having problems witj my wifi connection. I used to be able to download. A 700mb movie in about 25 - 30min now its taking me 1 1/2 hrs. For some reason i noticed my internet slows down at times, and will even lose the connection. Ive reset my router, took my battery out, cleared my cache. But still this update is making me download slower. Please help or please send me somewhere where i can get help. Thanks in advance....

vonjacq

Reaction score
Im having issues w the keyboard now that I've updated my phone. Its super slow...very annoying. Everything else works fine so far as I can tell. Anyone have any ideas for my keyboard problems?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

SicScribe

Reaction score
This new software update more than SUCKS!!! This isn't what I purchased. When I switched from my iPhone to a DriodX I took into consideration many options and functions. Had this piece of crap software been the current operating system at the time of purchase.... I never would have purchased it. The texting features are absolutely awful. Everything is awful. It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to add a new contact. Another 30 minutes to figure out how to save a picture. I'm going to call Motorola tomorrow to see if I can download the old software. If that isn't possible I will be visiting an Apple store ASAP.