Lapdock 500 + Netflix crashes Razr Maxx

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Received the Lapdock 500 today and tried it out with Netflix. When I stop the video it crashes the Razr and reboots. Anyone experience a similar problem?

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems I'm not alone. Checked the Motorola support forum and found two other posts with the same problem. Would have added my own comment but Motorola, taking a cue from Verizon no doubt, has such a terrible website that it won't send a confirmation email to enable me to register.

xChevyBoy

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my Lapdock 500 and my Razr. I have tried reinstalling, only thing i have not tried is not resetting to factory settings. Netflix works fine with my Wifes Bionic.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many of those with issues are rooted. Originally I was on stock but rooted and even though Netflix worked for me, I as having other issues.

After I restored back to non rooted stock, everything runs perfectly. Not saying that is the answer but if you are having issues and you are rooted, but others are not having issues, that could be a possibility.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

xChevyBoy

Reaction score
My Razr is all stock no rooting or anything like that. Thanks for replying with suggestions to fix this :biggrin:

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many of those with issues are rooted. Originally I was on stock but rooted and even though Netflix worked for me, I as having other issues....

Not rooted. This is an example of why I don't root a device early in its life cycle. Trying to figure out whether an issue stems from a generic bug or a side effect of changes in the os associated with rooting is a pita.

Further update from the Motorola forum. One poster claims that the problem only occurs when a netflix stream is interrupted by stopping the playback and exiting. If allowed to proceed to completion, the claim is that the bug doesn't occur.

Reaction score
Not rooted. This is an example of why I don't root a device early in its life cycle. Trying to figure out whether an issue stems from a generic bug or a side effect of changes in the os associated with rooting is a pita.

Further update from the Motorola forum. One poster claims that the problem only occurs when a netflix stream is interrupted by stopping the playback and exiting. If allowed to proceed to completion, the claim is that the bug doesn't occur.

Yeah, it was just a thought since I had issues while rooted but everything writings great now that I am back on stock non rooted. As for the netflix issue, I started watching a movie, ended playback and exited with no problems.

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was just a thought since I had issues while rooted but everything writings great now that I am back on stock non rooted. As for the netflix issue, I started watching a movie, ended playback and exited with no problems.

Hmmmm.... As a software developer, I hate answers like that. :biggrin: Just wondering if you have the original Razr, not the Maxx, and whether you have the same version of the OS. I'm running 2.6.35. 7-61e3522

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... As a software developer, I hate answers like that. :biggrin: Just wondering if you have the original Razr, not the Maxx, and whether you have the same version of the OS. I'm running 2.6.35. 7-61e3522

Yeah, I understand it is not a definitive answer but it was just my experience. Obviously, if you are not rooted, that is not the problem.

I do have the original razr but from what I understand, both the razr and the maxxx are the exact same on the inside. The restore files are the exact same for both phones so it would seem odd that this could be an issue only with the maxx but it certainly could be I guess.

I just checked my phone and I have that exact same kernel version.

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I agree that the Razr vs Razr Maxx should be a distinction without a difference. Now I'm wondering if the Lapdock itself may have a different levels of software or (less likely) that we're not running the same version of Netflix. Frankly, I haven't explored the Lapdock enough to even know how/where one looks for software updates for the device.