Keyboard issue with GB

kevinkar

Reaction score
I was going to continue this in an existing GB issues thread but don't see anyone responding to what I posted there and decided to make it a separate thread.

The old keyboard allowed a long press on the period key to bring up the two rows of additional choices and I could lift my thumb and reach over to the key I wanted and the pop up stayed there until I selected.

The new GB keyboard will bring up the two row pop up but the top row already has a key highlighted and when I lift my thumb to select the key I want, it instead selects the punctuation mark that was highlighted and the pop up disappears.

I can slide to the left if I keep my thumb pressed against the screen but I can not get down to the lower row unless I drag my thumb WAY to the bottom of the screen which is not quite right. Either way, the new pop up will immediately disappear and select the wrong key all the time if I lift my thumb.

Does anyone who uses the stock keyboard/input experience this too or am I the only one? Swype and FlexT9 input methods both work properly. Just the stock keyboard is screwed up.

Anyone?

jgm865

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this issue.

The top row is available as it is for you--but only if I do not lift my finger from the screen. If I lift the finger at at all, I get "+". This is different from before GB. Before GB, long pressing "." gave the opportunity to lift the finger, both rows remaining as options, and then I could select from either row. As you describe, with GB, the bottom row is not accessible at all.

Have you found a resolution, by chance?

Last edited:

phatkat66

Reaction score
I have a different set of problems with the keyboard in GB.

When im typing pressing "space" sometimes include a whole new word and its EXTREMELY annoying. Then to erase I have to press "backspace" 3x instead of twice, for some reason there's always an invisible character there. That's the best I can explain it. Also double pressing "space" will not include the period mark. It will just throw something random out. Its extremely annoying to type with, is there any fix?

OP
kevinkar

kevinkar

Reaction score

Unfortunately no. It still acts the same and is very annoying every time I use it because it forces me to think about what I'm doing (forcefully keep my finger on the screen - DON'T LIFT! - and drag it to the extreme lower edge to get to the lower row to select the right punctuation.

It must be a bug otherwise everyone would be complaining about it.

So, I'm getting very close to hard resetting to see if that fixes it. I've got to figure out how to save apps that no longer exist in the market because I don't really want to lose them. The keyboard seems worse though so I'll probably just do it. Ugh.

OP
kevinkar

kevinkar

Reaction score
When im typing pressing "space" sometimes include a whole new word and its EXTREMELY annoying.
Is this just the predictive text feature selecting a word you don't want because you hit the SPACEBAR too soon?

When you type, the predictive text will show up with other selections available but the current default one highlighted. If you hit SPACE before you are done typing the entire word, that's what will show up. You can of course select one of the other choices if the are what you really want.

Try it again and type slowly and watch what you are doing. You may just be accidentally hitting SPACE too early.

Reaction score
I agree. The new keyboard STINKS. I was getting really good and fast on the old one then bam they go and monkey with it. Its seems that they raised the sensitivity for the space bar up. Try it. Keep pressing the space bar and slowly raise your finger upon each press. I find I'm a quarter of the way into the C V B keys before it stops hitting space! And that annoying "don't lift" feature is on the emoticons as well. Not good.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Marky Mark

Reaction score
I too hate this new keyboard..The letters seem closer together and makes for more errors..So I am assuming(not rooted) that there is no way to install another keyboard? Or is there a way to uninstall GB without a hard reset?

hotrod6657

Reaction score

Unfortunately no. It still acts the same and is very annoying every time I use it because it forces me to think about what I'm doing (forcefully keep my finger on the screen - DON'T LIFT! - and drag it to the extreme lower edge to get to the lower row to select the right punctuation.

It must be a bug otherwise everyone would be complaining about it.

So, I'm getting very close to hard resetting to see if that fixes it. I've got to figure out how to save apps that no longer exist in the market because I don't really want to lose them. The keyboard seems worse though so I'll probably just do it. Ugh.

I have the same problem. Just visited Verizon after doing a factory reset (the keyboard issue was still there). It took some explaining to get the person at the store to understand that this isn't just a "quirk" with gingerbread and that it's a problem. She actually opened up the full punctuation part of the keyboard and said "what's wrong with these?" like that had magically fixed the issue just because she found another place to get the key i wanted...

Any way, I convinced them to ship me a refurbished phone. Should be here Wednesday (what with the holiday and all). We shall see how it goes. I really hope this is just an issue with my phone and not a more widespread Droid X issue.

Side note, all the phones they had on display were still the previous OS version. I was tempted to update their X to gingerbread just to see if it worked right...

Not every X is having this problem right?

I'll post back when the new phone comes and in updated to gingerbread but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works...

Here's my phone info, just in case we can figure out some similarity in the ones having this issue.

System version: 4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android version: 2.3.3
Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.12P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g34b306d qgd748@il93lnxdroid09#1
Build number: 4.5.1_57_DX5-26
ERI version: 5
PRL version: 52363

It sure would be nice to narrow down what phones have this problem.

hotrod6657

Reaction score
I too hate this new keyboard..The letters seem closer together and makes for more errors..So I am assuming(not rooted) that there is no way to install another keyboard? Or is there a way to uninstall GB without a hard reset?

As far as I know a reset doesn't really reset your phone to the way it was when you got it. You'll still be running gingerbread... It just clears all your settings, apps, caches, etc to help give you a fresh start.

At least that's my impression of the factory reset option, could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. :)

OP
kevinkar

kevinkar

Reaction score
Not every X is having this problem right?

I'll post back when the new phone comes and in updated to gingerbread but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works...
Too bad a hard reset did not fix this annoying issue. I'm not convinced that every X does NOT have this problem more than it's just not an issue with some people. However, you are in a good position to confirm it on a second phone so please do post when you get the new phone.

I've gotten used to forcing my thumb to stay on the screen, slide down all the way to the bottom of the screen to access the second row of keys and select the one I want. It's still very annoying to say the least when I forget to do this. It's just not working like it should/used to.

hotrod6657

Reaction score
I will post my results when my "new" phone arrives. Like I said, I'm hoping for the best... Just to be sure I'm reading your last correctly, are you saying that you think every X might be having this problem, but that it's just not something that others notice or are affected by (like if they use Swipe)? That's what I got from reading that but that sentence had like a double or triple negative ;) (just giving you a hard time)

If the new phone does the same thing I'm going to be pretty displeased and might try to coax Verizon into letting me make a lateral move to a different phone that doesn't have the same issue.

If it was simply an aesthetic change that bothered me it would be one thing, but this is an actual usability issue.

Overall I really like the new OS though, which makes this issue all the more annoying lol

sweenbeen

Reaction score
I have this exact issue as well. Also the spacebar sensitivity seams to change. Sometimes its super sensitive and I get a space before I touch the screen. Other times I have to apply a little pressure =\ I also have the issue with the punctuation.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

wyld

Reaction score
When long pressing on the period for the double bar slide your finger a little bit farther down the screen? @!?

Sent from my rooted GB DROID X 1.15 Ghz

hotrod6657

Reaction score
When long pressing on the period for the double bar slide your finger a little bit farther down the screen? @!?

To do what? That's how I'm able to get all of the keys on the bottom row of the punctuation menu that pops up but I still can't get that menu to stay open without holding my finger on the button and the selection on screen does not match the location of my finger.

If I long press the period at the very bottom of the screen it doesn't select it. I have to be in the middle of the button and then, when the pop up opens, the + symbol is already selected...

Hopefully the referb comes Wednesday and I can move on lol.

wyld

Reaction score
keep your finger down on the screen slide back and forth and down to highlight the punctuation you want to use. my phone does the same thing and I use better keyboard 8