Keep your Droid X running snappy!

scf

Reaction score
Here's what I did, YMMV:
Rooted.
Installed Root Manager.
Renamed some bloatware.
Power off, then on.
Installed Autostarts - stopped some more bloatware from loading (though not alot after renaming most of them).
Power off, then on.
Installed Launcher Pro - performed an initial configuration/settings setup.
Restarted Launcher Pro
Power off, then on.

Phone seems much more responsive, especially initial boot sequence. I did not, nor will I, mess with ATK. Just don't see it as necessary, but again YMMV, and not knocking those that do.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's what I did, YMMV:
Rooted.
Installed Root Manager.
Renamed some bloatware.
Power off, then on.
Installed Autostarts - stopped some more bloatware from loading (though not alot after renaming most of them).
Power off, then on.
Installed Launcher Pro - performed an initial configuration/settings setup.
Restarted Launcher Pro
Power off, then on.

Phone seems much more responsive, especially initial boot sequence. I did not, nor will I, mess with ATK. Just don't see it as necessary, but again YMMV, and not knocking those that do.

Now that is tweaking the OS! Perhaps next you'll install Sapphire?

bcals0087

Reaction score
Have you tried autokiller? I have that set to default settings except for the "empty app" setting i have set to 60. You can try messing with that however i've found settings closest to default help the phone run smooth and if they are too high its going to end processes that you'll probably start up soon enough anyways. Check it out. You can also use it as a task killer. IMO it seems like it has a better way of ending the tasks then atk does. In the app it has a link the revs website which has the background of it and his theory and facts as to why this should work well with android.

Its more like windows task manager if you know what i mean. Doesn't hurt to try. Its also only for root

soba1

Reaction score
I wiped my X recently and followed this guide again, but did NOT use the auto-kill when screen is off suggestion. Runs just as smooth, you will just need to play around and make minor tweaks here and there with autostarts, then it'll run just as fast without any sort of auto-killing complications that might arise.

Not to mention the more I think about the more I realize auto-killing is bad (even in this guide's sense; not talking about using the 'kill all' buttons).

What did u trun off in Auto Starts?

bcals0087

Reaction score
Anything that shows up that you installed. It will be in white lettering. Anything in yellow is a system process. Be careful with these. I disabled dlna,video player, sim toolkit and alarm and timer as well as other apps i installed. There are the other options as well to look at that you can disable certain apps from running when for instance you press the camera button.

soba1

Reaction score
Anything that shows up that you installed. It will be in white lettering. Anything in yellow is a system process. Be careful with these. I disabled dlna,video player, sim toolkit and alarm and timer as well as other apps i installed. There are the other options as well to look at that you can disable certain apps from running when for instance you press the camera button.

Thanks let me give those a try and see what I get

Last edited:

Crimsongost

Reaction score
I wish i could just wake up one morning and know everything about the Android OS, must be nice. Sadly i have to learn about it.

As a side note, I was pretty darn pleased with myself when i followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread and when i was done my phone still worked and was noticeably faster. Ya it's basic but i have to start some where.

scf

Reaction score
I wish i could just wake up one morning and know everything about the Android OS, must be nice. Sadly i have to learn about it.

As a side note, I was pretty darn pleased with myself when i followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread and when i was done my phone still worked and was noticeably faster. Ya it's basic but i have to start some where.

DING!

My sentiments, and current status with my DX, exactly!

Crimsongost

Reaction score
Then i completely apologize, i just did not come across that way.

Sorry,
Mitchell

Droid X rooted
Black Glass theme installed

washburnmav

Reaction score
Now that is tweaking the OS! Perhaps next you'll install Sapphire?
Oooohhhhhhhhh sarcasm. Yeah, that's useful. :laugh:

I didn't use sarcasm tags. I was being honest. He did quite a bit to customize the OS. A next step might be to go whole hog and install something totally new.

It was still pretty funny tho, I laughed. Then I laughed at myself for finding humor on a Droid board. Now I'm starting to think I should get a life...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oooohhhhhhhhh sarcasm. Yeah, that's useful. :laugh:

I didn't use sarcasm tags. I was being honest. He did quite a bit to customize the OS. A next step might be to go whole hog and install something totally new.

It was still pretty funny tho, I laughed. Then I laughed at myself for finding humor on a Droid board. Now I'm starting to think I should get a life...

This has been confusing. Now I get it though. The guy who thought I was being sarcastic was the guy who made the original post I commented on. I would like to take this space to reiterate that I was not being sarcastic, scf, and I think what you did is smart and cool. I don't know how I can convince you of this, but believe it!

scf

Reaction score
Bah! Not worries here. Honestly thought that Sapphire was a theme kinda thing, my newness showing now. LOL! So I laughed.

Nothing more to see citizens, carry on....

And yeah...laughing at a techie board, kinda makes me wonder sometimes too...