Just thought this was funny..

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
brought to you (copied really) from PCMag... i mean, what else are we gonna read the day before they announce them...?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354819,00.asp

10 Star Wars Features for the Motorola Droid

0,1425,i=249930,00.jpg

Here's a playful look at how to make Verizon's new Android handset the best phone in the galaxy.

Did you know that Lucasfilm owns the trademark to the word "Droid?" Apparently, the word is mentioned once or twice in that "Star Wars" movie he made a bunch of years ago. As it turns out, if someone wants to use the term in an official product name, they've got to clear the rights with George and company.

Say, hypothetically, that you're a phone company like, oh, I don't know, Motorola. Now say that you've got a new Android handset coming out for Verizon and you'd like to call it the Droid. In order to do so, you've got to clear it with Lucasfilm. Now, say, you get permission. All of your ads and such, from here on out, will have to carry fine print that says something to the effect of "DROID" is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies."
Interestingly, once you've cleared the usage, Lucasfilm actually gives you a little more leeway, which is surprising, considering it's a company that is notorious for being something of a stickler with it comes to litigation. Verizon/Motorola celebrated this new-found freedom by sending us a "droid" in the mail recently. It was actually (spoiler alert) a little R2-D2 toy.
So, we got to thinking…since Motorola went through all of the trouble of securing usage of the Droid trademark, why not really go for it. With that in mind, we present our ideas for a true collaboration between the Motorola Droid and Star Wars. Here's our wish list for the Droid phone:
Holographic Video Calling: Just imagine, your Android phone can receive holographs like, for example, "Help me, you're my only hope. Please pick up some milk on the way home?"
Pocket Chewbacca: This would be a combination GPS navigator/laser crossbow (hey, you never know). Directions would be given in Wookiee speak.
Moisture Farming: Thirsty? This app will help you get some moisture from the air from your home desert planet. Bonus: once Motorola teaches water and phones to play better, it's clear which handset we'll be taking with us on our next trip to Jar Jar Binks's hometown.
Light Saber: Duh.
Galaxy-wide Yelp: This app will help you stay away from those wretched hives of scum and villainy.
GPS Navigation Lets You Do the Kessel Run in Under 12 Parsecs: Traveling through hyperspace requires the sort of GPS app that the Tom Toms and Garmins of the world just aren't currently equipped to provide. This app can help you plot the most direct course across the galaxy. We're still not totally sure whether the whole "parsec" thing is space or time, but there's probably an app for that.
Midichlorian Counter: Feeling the force extra strong this morning? This little app lets you test your force potential. Score high enough and you may be on your way to Jedi school.
Droid Identifier: Nope, see here, it says clearly that these are the droids we're looking for. It takes a Droid to know a droid.
Tauntaun Opener: I know the animal rights groups are ready to pounce of us for this one, but come on, sometimes it gets chilly on Hoth.
Natalie Portman's Cell Number: You know how when you buy a frame from, say, Target it comes with somebody's picture in it? Why not preload the phone with the contact info for Queen Amidala's alter ego? OK, maybe that one is just wishful thinking.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm let the force be with you and the star wars avatars run wild. woot!

no kidding. click on "quick links - who's online?" at the top and sort by avatars.. it's like 80% star wars related..

*edit* sorry, its under "community - member list".. my bad

Last edited:

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Natalie Portman's Cell Number: You know how when you buy a frame from, say, Target it comes with somebody's picture in it? Why not preload the phone with the contact info for Queen Amidala's alter ego? OK, maybe that one is just wishful thinking.

DEAR GOD YES...... Sweeeeet dreams indeed!