Just installed GB...now the sync icon is in the notif. bar and won't go away?

Reaction score
If you go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All do you see Sync Service? Maybe try Clear Data? I'm not on an X right now, but thats what shows on my TB.

No. That's not an option in the X. However, even when I turn the radio off with no 3G, it still shows the sync bar at the top. I wonder if that's for something else or maybe it's just stuck up there and not actually syncing. I know it can't sync when offline, so I think it is either for something else or just stuck.

bigdaddynw5

Reaction score
Did a factory reset/wipe and all is good. This time I didn't bypass the setup process (think I did before, the clockwise 4 corners trick) so maybe walking through step-by-step setting up the backup sync etc.. fixed it? Just a thought.

bigdaddynw5

Reaction score
The only way is the factory reset.

Ok to clarify, I am thinking the reason the sync icon would not go away is due to the fact I bypassed the setup process when the device initially booted from the 2.3.3 flash. Wonder how many others which has this error also bypassed the setup process.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Yep, I had the same constant sync after I did the Gingerbread zip and the Market downloaded programs were installed, yet they were still installing... Factory Data Reset fixes all this.

ahaynes42

Reaction score
Email Engine is causing mine

What's causing my sync logo to stay in my notification bar is the Email Engine. When I force close this, the sync logo goes away. Every time I restart it comes back though. I guess a factory reset is the only way to go. Bummer.
Update: I checked what's been using my battery the most, and besides the display, it was com.motorola.contacts. I noticed that none of my contacts had their usual pictures next to their names, which leads me to believe that my contact pictures are being updated with their facebook profile pics. I hope this is the cause. I'm just going to let this run its course and see what happens. Will update if when I find out.

Last edited:

poots

Reaction score
i found this from another thread or forum (sorry i remember copying/pasting but don't have the link to the OP or the person who replied with this info). It worked for me:

I don't know if this will work for you but I had the same exact problem and this is how I solved it. It appears it is an error with the Blurcontactsync.apk file I was going to just leave it but it drained my battery way to fast. To fix it...use root explorer and go to system/app (change from Mount R/W to Mount R/O) and then change the blurcontactsync.apk to blurcontactsync.apk.bak After you change it back from Mount R/O to Mount R/W the sync icon should go away. I am still trying to find a fix for it but until then this will have to work. From what I have found it is just a Moto software program that does the exact same thing as the google sync software anyway. I hope it works for you as well.

Guyute

Reaction score
What if you don't have root? I really don't want to wipe the phone, but I guess I will if I have to. Is there a one click root out yet for GB on the X? If so I'll root and fix the problem rather than wipe.

ahaynes42

Reaction score
What if you don't have root? I really don't want to wipe the phone, but I guess I will if I have to. Is there a one click root out yet for GB on the X? If so I'll root and fix the problem rather than wipe.

Mine wasn't rooted. I installed the update.zip (the standard OTA update) and all my stuff was still there. However, the sync icon would not go away. I tried a lot of different remedies, but nothing worked, so I ended up just having to do factory data reset, and it fixed the problem. I just took pictures of the way I had my screens set up, and had to redo all of that stuff. But now I have Gingerbread and I'm loving it. Still no root.

lovesicp

Reaction score
facebook sync

What's causing my sync logo to stay in my notification bar is the Email Engine. When I force close this, the sync logo goes away. Every time I restart it comes back though. I guess a factory reset is the only way to go. Bummer.
Update: I checked what's been using my battery the most, and besides the display, it was com.motorola.contacts. I noticed that none of my contacts had their usual pictures next to their names, which leads me to believe that my contact pictures are being updated with their facebook profile pics. I hope this is the cause. I'm just going to let this run its course and see what happens. Will update if when I find out.

according to certain sites google took syncing from facebook for contacts out due to the fact they were using their own program on the phone to do it i guess its googles way of trying to make facebook integrate more google. however i went from stock froyo to rooted GB and am having the same problem though no duplicate apps running/syncing and have done factory reset however my back up assistant from verizon is constantly with one pending could be what it is on mine

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just fixed this for someone. Basically it was already posted but let me find it....here you go....

I manually updated to the GB zip file. Loving it however I have 2 issues.

1) the sync arrows will NOT go away in the notification bar

regarding sync arrows rename the file BlurContactsSync.apk to BlurContactsSync.apk.bak.it's Gmail attempting to sync with cloud account Gmail/Google

It can be found in the /system/app folder. Just to make sure, you should probably make a nandroid backup first

Worked perfectly, thanks a bunch nerdslogic!dancedroid

ahaynes42

Reaction score
FB Contact Pics

Okay, it took a couple of days, but now all of my contacts have their profile pics next to their name. So I guess Facebook is still syncing in Gingerbread after all.

Guyute

Reaction score
I would guess I need root to be able to change that file ext in order to get rid of the sync icon. Anyway to change that extention without root? Anyone know when we will have root for the OTA GB? Unfortunatly I did't put the rooted GB on my phone.