just got a galaxy S3 and random apps keep popping up on home screen.

moonman079

Reaction score
[SUB]i just got a galaxy S3 yesterday. so far i really like it but i am having a little problem. i downloaded about 1-12 apps that i put on all of my phones. and for some reason icons for apps keep popping up on my home screen. when i click them they are just short cuts that take me to the app in the play store. so far i have had about 12-13 pop up. i tried researching the problem but never found anything specific. i have had these same apps installed on 4-5 phones so far and never had any do this before. i have read of people talking about an app to help detect apps that push spam like that but have not seen anyone mention a name. i do not really want to have to delete the apps then reinstall them because of my limited data i have. does anyone know of anything i could try or what the name of the spam detection app is? any help would be greatly appreciated. [/SUB]

DroDough

Reaction score
[SUB]i just got a galaxy S3 yesterday. so far i really like it but i am having a little problem. i downloaded about 1-12 apps that i put on all of my phones. and for some reason icons for apps keep popping up on my home screen. when i click them they are just short cuts that take me to the app in the play store. so far i have had about 12-13 pop up. i tried researching the problem but never found anything specific. i have had these same apps installed on 4-5 phones so far and never had any do this before. i have read of people talking about an app to help detect apps that push spam like that but have not seen anyone mention a name. i do not really want to have to delete the apps then reinstall them because of my limited data i have. does anyone know of anything i could try or what the name of the spam detection app is? any help would be greatly appreciated. [/SUB]

Go into the play store>settings>uncheck auto add widgets.

islerelizabeth

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s3
Go into the play store>settings>uncheck auto add widgets.

I don't have the "uncheck auto add widgets". Every few minutes a giant loading circle will come on my home screen and then ads will pop up. I have java unchecked and block ads checked. I have airpush detector installed and the bs ads are still there. I know it's not any of my apps because I don't have any games and only the basic like fb, pandora, wattpad, etc. I had not installed any recent apps either for this to happen. This is ridiculous.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The S3 was not designed to function that way. I would start from scratch by either uninstalling all apps or just wiping the phone.

islerelizabeth

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s3
The S3 was not designed to function that way. I would start from scratch by either uninstalling all apps or just wiping the phone.

Looks like I'm uninstalling all apps, because I'm not chancing the loss of my photos, contacts,.and music again.

islerelizabeth

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s3

What do you mean "function that way"?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
What do you mean "function that way"?

You stated that you hadn't installed any apps that would cause this. It would have to be that.

If you have a PC then download Samsung Kies on it. It will allow you to make backups of your files...photos, notes, music, contacts etc. You can sync it using your usb cable and then wipe your phone. Afterwards you can restore your photos and stuff using Kies.

islerelizabeth

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s3
You stated that you hadn't installed any apps that would cause this. It would have to be that.

If you have a PC then download Samsung Kies on it. It will allow you to make backups of your files...photos, notes, music, contacts etc. You can sync it using your usb cable and then wipe your phone. Afterwards you can restore your photos and stuff using Kies.

I don't have a pc, and last time my previous android failed to back up all my files.

islerelizabeth

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s3

I appreciate your attempt to help though.