Just bought a brand new Droid Pro for Verizon. To update software or not???

oneofakind949

Reaction score
Hi everyone... this is my first post on here. Yes I am very new, however I have read many of your post on the Droid Pro forums. Since my Droid Pro is brand new it has not received any of the current software updates Motorola and Verizon have put out over the years. My phone as of now is running pretty smooth (original factory software). Battery life is decent, I keep the data off for the most part and besides the keyboard backlight going off here and there, there are no major glitches with it knock on wood. My question to you guys is, should I go ahead and download all 3 updates? Should I change over to GB or should I just I just leave it alone? My phone keeps asking me to upgrade, but I just keep ignoring it. Will upgrading my software make my phone better or create more headaches... by reading everyones post I have seen both sides of the argument... Please help me decide what to do next. Also no I do not want to root my phone, from what I understand about rooting so far after reading all the post, it is fun and gives you some benefits in the beginning but later it looks like a lot of people run into major software issues in my humble opinion. Also if you have any other suggestions or tricks and tips from the veteran Droid Pro users... that would be greatly appreciated. Wishing everyone all the best!

mikkuss

Reaction score
Well, i had HTC HD2, and it was my beggining with android journey. Buti decided to change to something like blackberry with android (i also had SGH-i780 before HD2) so i like to have hardware keyboard always fast to use so i decided to buy XT610.
But according to your questions - personally i can't live without root. I am using a lot of very useful tools which require root. I think the best exaple is titanium backup - with this tool you can backup almost everything (on HD2 i was switching roms every day, so it was very useful), so imagine - something happens with your droid and poof, everything is gone, but yeahhh fortunately i had my backup. Also newer Android verisons (especially modded) gives your device a lot of speed (you got some speed, man????), and my favorite CM7 feature - DSP Manager (the best IMHO sound enhancer).
Well i think it depends on you - i like to have some fun switching roms, testing, trying new stuff, personalizing and taking everything what my device can give to me.

According to your updates - i think that manufactorer updates don't give you any problems, because they're designed and developed only for your device, so there is full compatibility.