Juice defender question

Brad91

Reaction score
Does anyone know if my data is turned off when the screen goes off if I will still be able to receive text? I just got juice defender and it turns data off when screen is off. I just want to be able to get my texts and save battery?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Does anyone know if my data is turned off when the screen goes off if I will still be able to receive text? I just got juice defender and it turns data off when screen is off. I just want to be able to get my texts and save battery?

Text messages will come in without data, pic messages will not.. did you ever try smart actions battery extender? It will turn off data when the screen times out as well.. and to me personally, it handles it better.. but there are lots if people who swear by jd... it gave me connectivity issues... that's why I stopped using it.. ymmv and good luck :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Like 94lt1 said, you will get text messages with data off but you will not be able to open a pic in a pic msg with data off. You will still get the text message saying that you have received a pic msg but when you go to open the pic it will stay on a continual status of "downloading" until you enable data (took me a long time to figure that one out)!

I am currently trying smart actions for the first time. I had been using JD. Like when using JD, I only set the basic settings (turn off wifi/data/gps when screen off and night time mode, etc). So far the difference has been an average of 24 hours on JD and currently, my first full round with SA, has been 33 hours with 27% battery left.

Beckeramos

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Like 94lt1 said, you will get text messages with data off but you will not be able to open a pic in a pic msg with data off. You will still get the text message saying that you have received a pic msg but when you go to open the pic it will stay on a continual status of "downloading" until you enable data (took me a long time to figure that one out)!

I am currently trying smart actions for the first time. I had been using JD. Like when using JD, I only set the basic settings (turn off wifi/data/gps when screen off and night time mode, etc). So far the difference has been an average of 24 hours on JD and currently, my first full round with SA, has been 33 hours with 27% battery left.

Curious as to how your getting more life with smart actions as to jd. Unlike juice defender, smart actions turns data on right when the screen goes on. Juice defender you can set it for turning on just with certain apps if you like. I use both and I'm getting about 24-30 hours to get to about 10 percent...

SallyC

Reaction score

Others have addressed your specific question about text, but if you are wanting to understand better how to adjust JD and data connectivity here is a link to their online manual.

Depending on which version you have, the features and options you see will vary. You can compare features/versions here and also click on them to learn more about them.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Beckeramos said:
Curious as to how your getting more life with smart actions as to jd. Unlike juice defender, smart actions turns data on right when the screen goes on. Juice defender you can set it for turning on just with certain apps if you like. I use both and I'm getting about 24-30 hours to get to about 10 percent...

Just like I said... with JD, I tested it out with only the balanced setting. I actually used to do more customized settings but I wanted to see what I would get with just balanced. After about a week, my average was about 24 hours.

Then I wanted to test SA. I have only set battery extender and night time (essentially the same as JD balanced) and so far, my first round on a full charge, I am currently at 36 hours with 17%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tis, Did you just use the SA samples for Nighttime Battery Extender and Battery Extender?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You're Welcome! Happy battery saving, lol! Hope it is helpful!