Joined recently - love the forum!

g0dM@n

Reaction score
I came from an LG Dare (that I hated, but was better than my old RAZR v3) to a Motorola Droid. I work in the field of I.T. and am actually a desktop computer overclocker, which I've been doing since 2001, and more successfully since 2003. Some of you may have seen me on other forums before.

Anyway, I got my Droid in late May and could NOT be happier, especially after modding to... Bugless Beast V0.4 Android 2.2 FRF84B

I feel like it's a whole new phone!! Anyway, about 32 days after I got my Droid, the Droid X was launched and I was upset I couldn't return my phone for it, which is when I decided to mod my phone... once I did that, I actually realized I had made the right move b/c I found out the Droid X had no keyboard, which is HUGE for me since I hated the LG Dare and texting on it!!

If I could have any phone out there, I think I'd still stick with this one. While the desktop icons are still slow to load, and my display often defaults to landscape even when I hold it right, the pros highly outweigh the cons.

I think my landscape vs portrait problem arose much more after modding, but I can deal with it for now.

Thank you to the forums for offering these goodies!!! :) It's a pleasure to be a member here!!

Reaction score
Welcome

Overclock your droid and the icons wont take so long to load or delete some widgets you dont use.

I went to my droid in Nov from a Dare so i know your pain.

OP
G

g0dM@n

Reaction score
Welcome

Overclock your droid and the icons wont take so long to load or delete some widgets you dont use.

I went to my droid in Nov from a Dare so i know your pain.
Thanks for the advice, buddy. Yes, the Dare drove me nuts for texting, especially when I remember one of the characters would become a "0" unless I pushed T9 word TWICE!! (this happened after their "firmware fix update"... actually made the phone worse)

Anyway, I didn't know the widgets might be slowing it down, but that's great advice. I'm running 800mhz with the mod I named in my OP, but I'm trying to figure out how to install a new kernel to overclock beyond. I see kernels everywhere, but haven't found instructions explaining on a procedure...

Reaction score
Kernals are easy, im assuming you are running through clockworkmod's recovery.

Just find one that works with the current rom you are on and download it. Reboot the phone while holding "x" along with the power button to turn it back on and it will boot into clockworkmod recovery then go to apply zip from sd card and then choose zip file goto the one you downloaded hit ok and then reboot when its all done

If you are on sprecovery just remame the file to update.zip then tell sprecovery to apply sd card update.zip

OP
G

g0dM@n

Reaction score
Kernals are easy, im assuming you are running through clockworkmod's recovery.

Just find one that works with the current rom you are on and download it. Reboot the phone while holding "x" along with the power button to turn it back on and it will boot into clockworkmod recovery then go to apply zip from sd card and then choose zip file goto the one you downloaded hit ok and then reboot when its all done

If you are on sprecovery just remame the file to update.zip then tell sprecovery to apply sd card update.zip
First of all, THANKS FOR THE PROMPT REPLIES!!! :)

I'm on SPRecovery.

Two concerns:
1. What's this talk about WIPE... do I have to do it if I'm just changing my kernel? Do I have to redo all of my settings and desktop icons as I had to when I first rooted my phone?
2. How do I know what's compatible with my current setup... this is the mod I did:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...t-v0-4-android-2-2-frf84b-fully-deodexed.html

g0dM@n

OP
G

g0dM@n

Reaction score
So I am happily running 1ghz right now! :) YESSS!!!
Maybe I'll push more some other time, but gonna leave it like this for now. I tested 800mhz for over a week, so I'll test 1ghz for a week before I think of likely going higher.

I'm on ChevyNo1-1.0Ghz-lowV-7slot-update.zip

OP
G

g0dM@n

Reaction score
Okay, well I seem to be running pretty stable @ 1ghz low voltage, but I still have a problem with the icons on the HOME desktop loading slowly.

I mentioned a few posts ago about this problem and someone mentioned removing widgets, so I removed the NEWS AND WEATHER > WEATHER widget from my home screen and that did not help.

I'm trying to isolate the problem but haven't had much time yet as I'm working... I can mimic the problem by going from the browser to the desktop, but I think it mostly happens when I'm in landscape and then go to home desktop...

Here's what's on my MAIN desktop:
ColorNote
Handcent
Talk
Gmail
Email
SetCPU
News and Weather (just added after removing its weather widget)

Any ideas?

Thanks!!