JB update minor glitches - DO an FDR

jaseman

Reaction score
I got my OTA of JB a few days ago. Most everything was working OK. Just a few minor glitches. For example no matter if I turned the phone off while on vibrate or full sound, when I restarted it the "droid" sound during boot was gone. I thought maybe they just completely did away with it. However, after an FDR it is back???

Today while using navigation LuLu (that's what I call her) would tell me something stupid after the fact...like after making a correct turn, which she told me to do, she would then tell me to continue for another 1/2 mile down the same road I just turned off of???? :blink: I would also get a random warning that the GPS signal was lost when in fact it was not???

However, after doing the FDR all is back to normal.
Right after the OTA I did a cache wipe and it may, or may not have done anything to help, but the FDR certainly did. YES it's a PITA to do an FDR but just go ahead and do it to make sure you are starting from as close to factory install as you can.

One other thing that I have noticed is that it takes a full day or two for the "buttery" feel to really settle in. I always turn my phone off at night. So after a couple of days I was getting that smooth buttery feel until I did the FDR and now it lags ever so slightly just as it did right after the OTA to JB. So my hope is that in a couple of days that buttery feel will be back. Why it would take so much time to get buttery I can only guess has to do with certain information being cached and or buffered somewhere as you use the phone more and more. So then, doing an FDR, or even a simple cache wipe after using the phone for a couple of days "may" in fact loose that cached/buffered information and make the phone slightly laggy again until it rebuilds the cache. This of course is pure speculation on my part based on 15 years of working with computers in an IT field and by deductive reasoning. :nerd:

xxxberto55

Reaction score
I second this....mine was kind of choppy (almost like a computer running out of memory). Factory reset and it flys, much improved. In the coming days maybe it will get better.

OP
jaseman

jaseman

Reaction score
Another minor glitch that was fixed by the FDR was my owner information on the lock screen. Right after the OTA it was off center and looked stupid. Nothing I did could get it alligned with the date right above it. After the FDR it is right where it should be. It makes me wonder how many other strange little glitches were "fixed" as a result of the FDR. :icon_ lala:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3