I've gone to the darkside and rooted

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since I spent the .99 cents to root so I could get the full version of 2.2 I decided to use it and overclock.

So I downloaded everything I needed and it took me THREE freaking hours to figure out why SetCpu wasn't letting me adjust things.

That's why I don't mess with this stuff - I did the simplest thing and it took me three hours.

Now that it's finally working of course I'll never go back. I don't anticipate any more updates for a long time.

Running 2.2 I was getting about 8 MFlops, running it at 800 I am getting about 12, and running it at 1000 I am getting 15.

Does that seem normal or low.

And how do you nerds set up scaling (on demand?) and in the profiles do you use on demand or something else?

Also how closely do I need to monitor the temperature and is there a free widget for that?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score

One of us. One of us. Gooble gobble gooble gobble.

Those benches sound about right. I don't pay much attention to benches anymore, and haven't ran one to see how much it improved with Froyo. I did run quadrant (free app in market) a few times, just out of boredom really.

For the most part on-demand is what you want it set to. It should give you the perfect balance of performance and battery life. It ramps up your speed when it is needed. If your phone doesn't need the speed, it goes down toward the lower setting.

As far as profiles, different people set them up differently as they see fit.

I set up a charging profile, putting it closer to stock speeds (600max and 250 min). When it is charging, generally I want it to charge as fast as possible.

Screen off I put at some of the lowest settings. When the screen is off I want to conserve as much battery as possible. (250 max and 125min) 250 or 300, whatever the lowest slot in the kernel is. 125mhz sometimes can cause problems, or at least used to. So I am a little hesitant to use it sometimes. I haven't seen any problems with it since I have been using it the past couple weeks.

I also have a profile set for when my battery goes below 30% (well 31% because I couldn't get it to go to 30% haha). I do 600max and 125min. When I am running low on battery, I don't want my phone using more CPU speeds so I can get a little more time out of it.

I am not sure what the priority means, I just leave them all at 50.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html <-- that thread is an interesting read if you wanted to see more information about it.

Temps you should be OK with. If you are using your phone a lot at really high speeds, while charging it, in a really hot spot, and have it in a case then maybe you should worry. But most people keep the temps under what they need to be without serious precautions. The batteries' max temp is lower than the CPU's max temp, SetCPU shows that temp. Actually you can set a profile in regards to it. TempMonitor (paid app in market) can monitor CPU temps, there may be free alternatives to this, but I am not sure what they are since I paid for TempMon a while back. I actually don't even use TempMon anymore, since my temps aren't very high.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
SSHGuru I can't believe it took you so long to root!! It's about time and Congrats! :D

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Priorities are the order in which the profiles are applied. ie.
if you had a charging profile and a screen off profile, and the phone was charging with the screen off, the profile with the higher priority would be applied.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Darkside of rooting, as for most, there is no turning back

armeddroid

Reaction score
Since I spent the .99 cents to root so I could get the full version of 2.2 I decided to use it and overclock.

So I downloaded everything I needed and it took me THREE freaking hours to figure out why SetCpu wasn't letting me adjust things.

That's why I don't mess with this stuff - I did the simplest thing and it took me three hours.

Now that it's finally working of course I'll never go back. I don't anticipate any more updates for a long time.

Running 2.2 I was getting about 8 MFlops, running it at 800 I am getting about 12, and running it at 1000 I am getting 15.

Does that seem normal or low.

And how do you nerds set up scaling (on demand?) and in the profiles do you use on demand or something else?

Also how closely do I need to monitor the temperature and is there a free widget for that?

I think I am about to root myself.
I'm about due.
I did last weeks manual update and now I know you don't have to root to install the new update.
But now... I think I might cop Easy Root and jump in, myself.

and I type this from my Droid.

Booch_21

Reaction score
For the most part on-demand is what you want it set to. It should give you the perfect balance of performance and battery life. It ramps up your speed when it is needed. If your phone doesn't need the speed, it goes down toward the lower setting.

As far as profiles, different people set them up differently as they see fit.
Thanks for your suggestions on the profile setups. It made me think about how mine were setup. I also recently rooted and I'm still getting a feel for what I want to do and what I can do. This forum sure is great for passing along experiences!

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I thought you needed to install an overclock kernel to use SetCPU. Is that not correct or does 2.2 come with one?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought you needed to install an overclock kernel to use SetCPU. Is that not correct or does 2.2 come with one?
You do need to install an O/C Kernel if you are stock 2.1 or 2.2 rooted, although most ROM makers slide an 800mhz kernel in there ROMs so if you go that route it is taken care of for you, for most (me included) 800mhz isn't enough

LatinaC09

Reaction score
I'm so happy with my rooted phone. The Dark Side never felt so good lol

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I feel a cliche coming on.........

*If rooting is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

*Ask not what rooting can do for you, ask what you can do for rooting.

*To root or not to root... that is the question.

Ok, I'm done....

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I set everything to that guide except that I am running 250 min and not 125.

We'll see how it performs and my battery lasts.

I can tell you that the Droid runs way smoother and faster now that I'm running 1000.

Now that I've gone over to the darkside what should I do next? Already downloaded the tethering stuff.