itunes problem

jcwilliams

Reaction score
i have a problem with my itunes saying it can not find original location of most of my songs. i have like 3k songs and id say like 1/4 of them (didnt check them all) say this. when i hit play it comes up with that message and puts a "!" mark next to the song. how can i get my music back without having to redownload them all? i did not make any changes to the computer at all. just one day it did this to me and hasnt come back.

running windows 7 ultimate n os on dell laptop

thanks
james

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
iTunes can be a real b*tch, right click a few songs that are missing, select "Show in Windows Explorer", or click on "Get Info" and see where the file for that particular song is stored on your computer's hard drive.

From there I would verify that the songs are still in the path specified, for example iTunes may say a song is at C:\Users\James\Desktop\call_me_maybe.m4a, well go to the desktop and see if it *is* indeed there. If it isn't, there you go!

You really ought to put ALL of your songs in the same folder, ie C:\Users\James\My Music, I learned that the hard way as well haha.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions. -other James

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! Good news is that all the music i lost was backed up on my gmusic! But it must be a seeing in my itunes that's causing this..