It's me...

jeanniebee

Reaction score
Have had my Droid2 since October 2010, after a brief and unhappy romance with a Palm Pre. I had Palm phones for years & still miss some of the simple & practical features of that OS. Joined this forum for help with learning my new phone & answering some questions that are still frustrating me.

I like to have all of my info in one place and with me at all times & I'm having trouble making the contacts app work in the way I want it to.

I think I'm mostly loving my Droid, however.

jeanniebee:heart:

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ Welcome! What's do you want your contacts to do exactly?:byepalm:

OP
J

jeanniebee

Reaction score
Contacts

Sort by last name first, for one thing. I have tried some suggestions I found on here, but no luck so far. Tried sorting my google contacts that way, but it didn't affect my phone contacts. I have 2000+ contacts and don't want to re-enter each last name as the first name.

Also, I posted a long question about using voice command with custom phone fields. I was able to accidentally make this work exactly the way I wanted, and then could never replicate it. I don't know how to tell you to find that post. I think I tagged it "voice command for custom phone fields." I'm just learning my way around.

Gracias & thanks for the welcome.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
About the sorting.... The only thing I can think to do is to switch the last & first name in your Google account on a PC. Then move them to your phone. I know that's pretty pathetic but it's better than doing it on your phone! :frown:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! Hopefully you get it all worked out!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Enter them as such......last name first......

Google lets you export your contact to a spreadsheet. You then change the column name so the first names are in the lname column and the last names are in the fname column. Import the contacts back in and you are good to go.

On Android 2.2 you should be able to do this on the phone itself. Within contact settings you can "sort by last name" and "view by last name first".

Good luck!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Enter them as such......last name first......

Google lets you export your contact to a spreadsheet. You then change the column name so the first names are in the lname column and the last names are in the fname column. Import the contacts back in and you are good to go.

On Android 2.2 you should be able to do this on the phone itself. Within contact settings you can "sort by last name" and "view by last name first".

Good luck!

For the X and teh D2 there is no such settings/ You can actually have Google change the names to last name first, but they still come over to the contacts as firs and last names. :( I know the D1 had that setting I don't know why the D2 and X do not.

J

Johnly

My bad, I am just a dirty pirate.....listen to these folks.......Wether you type it on a PC in a spread sheet like an old fart, or just use your Google voice app to talk it right...help yourself...what ever works best for you....use what you can rock.....hope that helps good luck!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Weird, as I'd think the contact app would be the same, being android and all. Contacts > menukey > Display Options > and no "sort list by" or "view contact names as" ? If so, that's lame. It's like your Word 2.0 working differently than my Word 2.0, just because you are on Windows 7 and I am on Vista. Prolly why some stick with macs:)

J

Johnly

Weird, as I'd think the contact app would be the same, being android and all. Contacts > menukey > Display Options > and no "sort list by" or "view contact names as" ? If so, that's lame. It's like your Word 2.0 working differently than my Word 2.0, just because you are on Windows 7 and I am on Vista. Prolly why some stick with macs:)
Macs?:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Nah.......freedom has no macs (has anyone entered contacts right, off the bat) Why go back? OK I see your point, but dman (SP) that seems like wasted work..........

OP
J

jeanniebee

Reaction score
weird

Yes, that's what's so confusing. I would try to follow a path somebody suggested & then there would be no path. When I go to menukey under Contacts, there is no "Display Options" at all. There is one choice named Settings, which gives you a choice of "phone contacts" or Google. I have Google checked, but it won't let me check Phone Contacts, even though I don't think this is even what I'm looking for.