Issue with Ticker SNS service for facebook

RyanS2000

Reaction score
I just bought this phone for my wife for xmas and everything so far is nice except for one issue we are having with the SNS service that feeds the ticker updates for facebook (I assume).

After adding the facebook account in the ticker settings, we go into Settings->Sync and there are 2 facebook accounts listed, one I assume is for the facebook app and the other for the ticker. When I click the tickers facebook account it shows the usual as options for syncing: Contacts, Calender, etc. At the top, there is an option that says "SNS Service: click to activate". When we click it, it will say "Activating ..." for about 30 minutes and eventually say there was an error and to "Please register manually". We have tried this multiple times and always get the same result. We did a Settings->Privacy->Factory Reset but had no results with that. Would a hard reset through the recovery menu provide a different result then doing it through the settings\privacy menu? Also, could trying to activate the SNS service using wifi instead of 3g help at all? My wife is out now, just trying to get some possible solutions before she gets home.

Any ideas?

ThePravus

Reaction score
Have the same problem. I may take this back and pick up a Fascinate. Its too bad I think community support for this device with be lacking because i love the formfactor.

OP
R

RyanS2000

Reaction score
Yea, it sucks because it is a cool device. My wife loves it because its basically a smaller scale fascinate with the addition of the ticker screen, which is a bonus. We went to the store with intentions on getting a fascinate but she liked this better when she held it. We may end up returning it though.

We've tried a factory reset through Settings as described above and also a recovery hard reset and it didn't solve anything.

Have you called or went to Verizon about this yet?

Edit: Just called Verizon, they were unable to provide a solution. The tech rep advised they will contact Samsung regarding this and provide an update\fix when available. Yes, it is a new phone so some quirks are expected but I am nervous about holding onto the phone past the return window and getting stuck with a phone with a non-working feature.

Last edited:
OP
R

RyanS2000

Reaction score
The recent facebook update fixed this bug!!!!

Just go into Sync settings, remove the account that has the "SNS Activate" menu item then add a new account for ticker\social-networking for facebook. When you go into Sync settings and view that facebook sync account again, the SNS service will say "Activated".

Last edited: