ISIS Mobile Payments Go Live Nationwide on Verizon, AT&T & T-Mobile

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;tH5RWt6HdKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH5RWt6HdKk[/video]​

The ISIS mobile payment system has been in development testing for over a year in Salt Lake City, Utah and Austin, Texas; however, the testing is complete and the new service is rolling out today nationwide. The ISIS mobile payment platform was developed in a partnership between Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. An updated version of the Isis mobile wallet is now available in the Google Play Store. The app and service allow you to load only American Express or Chase cards into a virtual wallet on NFC-enabled smartphones. This lets you pay for goods and services with a swipe of your phone instead of a credit card or cash.

Supposedly, the service is now available at over 200,000 retail locations across the United States. Here's a list of some of the more popular phones on Verizon which are capable of utilizing the NFC based service:
  • Motorola DROID Maxx
  • Motorola DROID Ultra
  • Motorola DROID Mini
  • Motorola DROID RAZR M
  • Motorola Moto X
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  • LG G2
So far, the Isis app and service has been receiving horrible reviews on the Google Play Store. Of course this is mostly for the previous versions, but is also because of the limited amount of cards available on the service. It does not bode well for a smooth launch of the service, potentially putting a black eye on the entire NFC-based mobile payment system.

Source: TechCrunch

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
You have to use a specific bank and credit card... AND buy a special SIM?

No thanks. Get that junk out of my face.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
You have to use a specific bank and credit card... AND buy a special SIM?

No thanks. Get that junk out of my face.

My thoughts exactly. I DO NOT want to use Chase as my bank nor do I want an AMEX card. And a special SIM....seriously? NFC payments are so small as it is. I don't see this helping that at all.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^Agreed. This service has "Fail" written all over it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not to mention I believe they still don't allow install on rooted devices. I think NFC payments are going the way of HD-DVD players and will soon be replaced by Bluetooth LE payment systems.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Can we just have Wallet please?

Google Wallet works on Verizon now but they kind of killed the app. You get charged a fee now to add money, and I am not seeing where NFC payments can be made.

delcopa

Reaction score
Not to mention I believe they still don't allow install on rooted devices. I think NFC payments are going the way of HD-DVD players and will soon be replaced by Bluetooth LE payment systems.
Actually there is a isis root bypass you can use on rooted devices so this will work.

delcopa

Reaction score
This was working on the note 3 day one but seems now that it launched they removed the note 3.
Plus sucks cause only amex and chase cards. You can use a prepaid amex like back in the day when gw first came out.

Gw is much better just the carries didn't get money for each payment. They are to greedy we should h have a code but then If we did we wouldn't use isis lol.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wallet works on GS4 from Verizon but you must be rooted and jump through some hoops.
I was able to get it installed and working on my device running MI1.

Wallet allows me to use any card I want.
ISIS is a failed attempt from AMEX. Chase, Verizon, AT&T and I think T-Mobile to lock you into their payment system.

I don't want Amex, or Chase for my credit stuff.
I don't want Verizon involved in my transactions.

ISIS has "EPIC FAIL" written on it.
Limited cards, on limited devices.

Here is a clue VZW and others.....
LET US HAVE WALLET!!! We don't want ISIS!!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd rather have something like this: https://onlycoin.com/ I saw a video about it today and it sounds kinds useful. Just not sure I have enough 'plastic' in my wallet to matter. My costco card can't be used on it and I only have three other cards so I'm not taking up a ton of space as it is.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have something like this: https://onlycoin.com/ I saw a video about it today and it sounds kinds useful. Just not sure I have enough 'plastic' in my wallet to matter. My costco card can't be used on it and I only have three other cards so I'm not taking up a ton of space as it is.

This is interesting.
I might bite at $50.
I have 4 or 5 cards.

The only problem I see is that I probably won't be able to use my ATM card with this.
What I do like is that, even if your wallet is stolen the coincard (no beeter name) will automatically deactivate.
They also don't have the security code on the back.

Big drawback is that how do they handle signature and verification for credit card companies???

I'm interested.

Malkavian

Reaction score
The special SIM from Verizon is free. Already called and then sent me one. It basically enables the NFC function to work with ISIS because your credit card information is stored on the SIM, not on the phone, not in the cloud.

I do agree this seems like Sony and betamax all over again. This is a technology that is ever expanding. Many things will change before a standard is set and we are all using something other than paper money and plastic cards to pay for things.