Is your bank blocking your debit card? (Market purchases)

nphil

Reaction score
Alright, so I like to support android developers by buying a lot of apps, most of which I use on a daily basis. $ .99-$1.99 isn't really that steep for me, and I drop more on junk food everyday. But my bank (Wachovia) seems to think all those Google Checkout purchases are fraudulent and KEEPS blocking my debit card!

This has happened at least 5 times now and I have to call card services, wait in line and explain the situation, answer a few stupid "security" questions and finally have my card unblocked. I asked the rep why it keeps happening, and she just told me that Google Checkout is on their "blacklist" for some reason and there was nothing she could do about it!

Anybody else having this problem with their banks? I used to be with Bank of America but after 4 years of their lame customer service and unfair fees, I decided to ditch them and stick with Wachovia.

jasonb

Reaction score
i have bought probably about a half a dozen apps all on my debit card and haven't had an issue yet.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I like to support android developers by buying a lot of apps, most of which I use on a daily basis. $ .99-$1.99 isn't really that steep for me, and I drop more on junk food everyday. But my bank (Wachovia) seems to think all those Google Checkout purchases are fraudulent and KEEPS blocking my debit card!

This has happened at least 5 times now and I have to call card services, wait in line and explain the situation, answer a few stupid "security" questions and finally have my card unblocked. I asked the rep why it keeps happening, and she just told me that Google Checkout is on their "blacklist" for some reason and there was nothing she could do about it!

Anybody else having this problem with their banks? I used to be with Bank of America but after 4 years of their lame customer service and unfair fees, I decided to ditch them and stick with Wachovia.

The only issue I had -- Apps that have prices in British Pounds will not accept Discover not sure why.

Mike

Cowpoke

Reaction score

The only issue I had -- Apps that have prices in British Pounds will not accept Discover not sure why.

Mike

Ditto, I bought Homerun 3d just fine, but couldn't buy beautiful widgets (or something related, I cant remember) only difference was the latter was not US dollars.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chase is having a hard time grasping the concept of why I'm making charges of 1.05. They go through but they call and ask My Wife about it. Bugs the crap out of me because it's a joint account, I'm not a secondary on the card.

paddy

Reaction score

Mike

Ditto, I bought Homerun 3d just fine, but couldn't buy beautiful widgets (or something related, I cant remember) only difference was the latter was not US dollars.

My card is restricted to US purchases, It's a temporary card and I can't get it changed. Your bank/issuer is probably blocking charges from a foreign country. Google.uk, google.jp etc. With legitimate cards you should be able to call your bank and get them to stop blocking these charges. Found this out trying to purchase GDE Home.

lschicky

Reaction score
I would explain to them, (the bank) that they should make it their problem to fix. There might be nothing that rep can do about it, but there is someone somewhere in the company that can do something about it, She should at least be able to put you in touch with her manager, and then up the line till someone can do something about it and that if they want your business they need to allow you to spend your money where you want, not where they decide.

When I went to Japan, I called all my banks & credit cards that I was bring with and told them I was going to be traveling, and spending money abroad, and that they shouldn't block it. Didn't have any problems.

Someone put google on that "blacklist", someone can take it off.

As for Banks, Personally, I've had ok luck with Chase & wells fargo in general. Though I haven't tried to to purchase any apps yet. Had horrid troubles with Washington Mutual, but they clearly had issues and couldn't cut it anymore and have since been bought out.

twmac

Reaction score
some banks will check for spending patterns and place a block if they feel its suspicious

for example, one time I was super hung-over.. went to mcdonalds and got a sausage egg mcmuffin with cheese.. then stopped for gas. later that day, I tried to go buy some clothes but my debit card had been blocked. apparently, making a small purchase at a fast food/vendoresque location followed by a much larger purchase ($3 sandwich --> $90 in gas) in quick succession can get your card blocked.

PJay801

Reaction score
Thats why I don't involve my bank in any online transactions. I've had 2 identity thefts in 8 months. I use a Wal-mart preloaded Visa debit. I use it for all my online transactions. I just load a specific amount each pay period and run with it.

anuraj1

Reaction score
My Mastercard went through on all my purchases, but they got suspicious when I bought Beautiful Widgets because it was a small purchase overseas. They called me and said that credit card thieves usually try small purchases first to make sure the card works, then they hit you with the multi-thousand dollar purchases.

swallman

Reaction score
I would think that all of the payments should just show up as US payments under Google (even if the developer is from outside the US). Then Google would handle the conversion and payment to the foreign developer.

In other words, to the bank it would/should only show up as a US payment to Google.

anuraj1

Reaction score
If you look on your credit card statement, it says google.com and the developer's name, I also had a surcharge for the overseas use of my credit card because Beautiful Widgets was .99 Euros.